Where is that old bike?
spurrea

DSV 718 AJS 350

Post by spurrea »

Anyone know any history of this bike?
Rob Harknett

Re: DSV 718 AJS 350

Post by Rob Harknett »

Its a re registered number, so may not be able to get much history on the bike by the reg. no. number. The club dating office may be able to tell you more via its frame and engine number from factory records, also to where it was despatched. From then on you would need to know the original reg. no. To see where it was registered and if records survive.
spurrea

Post by spurrea »

Thanks Rob
Apart from people selling the original reg number to make some money why else would they sell them?
I appreciate if a bike was in bits and had to be rebuilt or was made from a number of different bike parts but is it ok buying a re-reg
What shoul one be aware of when purchasing a re-reg bike?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

As you've probably discovered it's shown as SORN'd on the DVLA database.
Last MOT'd July 2011 (It passed!). See its MOT history for the past 4/5 MOT's here: https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

There is no more of a risk in buying a re-reg (aka 'Age related Number') bike than one with an original reg'n., so long as it is on the DVLA database, the frame number on the bike matches that on the V5C, and the seller has good title to it. An age related number cannot be sold or transferred to another vehicle. The V5C is normally endorsed: 'Non transferable' or some such similar wording.

My 1954 G3LS has an age related number as it was repatriated from the original purchaser, the Rhodesian Police Force. Bikes used by Gov't bodies (e.g. the Fire service, Air Force, Army) are given an age related number when sold to be used as civvy machines.

Obviously, all imported bikes will have to be re-registered with a British (age related) reg'n number.

As Rob has advised, the club's Dating Officer could probably give you more info on its identity at the time it was shipped from the factory.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Age related numbers could be transferred in the past. I actually have a bike with an age related number that can still be transferred. People were getting an age related number then selling it, get another and sell it, get another then sell. This was encouraged by numbers dealers offering £150 for any age related number. The DVLA had to put a stop to this, I forget the date. Since then all docs should sate this number is not transferable. If that is not stated the number can still be transferred. Sometimes much to the delight of some owners. DLVA made mistakes forgetting to add, the number was not transferable. Some time after all this, the DVLA started selling " cherished " numbers.
spurrea

Post by spurrea »

Thanks Spriddler
I have just tried the dating option and it recognised there was a record, after putting in the frame number, and paypay took payment but then nothing was displayed so not sure what went wrong
I have left a message
Cheers
Andy