Seeking my dads bike KLM589

Where is that old bike?
NickG58

Seeking my dads bike KLM589

Post by NickG58 »

dads_matchless.jpg
Hi,
Been looking through some old photos since my dad passed a few years ago. I got my love of biking from him. Shortly after he married mum in the early fifties they had many a camping holiday on his trusty Matchless. No helmets or leathers back then just a pair of goggles and an ex army despatch riders coat (which I still have).
I'd love to track his old bike down and possibly buy it if the current owner feels inclined. I am not certain but I think it was a 1947 G3L. I am happy to be corrected.
Not sure about dads loading skills but I guess tents were a lot bigger back then. With mum on the back too I'm surprised he didn't travel mostly on the back wheel!
Any info/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks Nick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Seeking my dads bike KLM589

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Hi Nick. Yes it's a 350cc G3L and the right design for 1947.
Disappointingly that reg'n number isn't on the DVLA website. Sometimes a (desirable) reg'n number is sold off and put on any other vehicle (bike, car, motorhome etc) and the bike gets an age related number and still exists, but of course unless you know the new age related number there's no way of finding out whether the bike itself still exists.
However, no vehicle of any type having that reg'n number is shown as being currently insured which probably means that the bike no longer exists. There is a very faint possibility that the bike has been in store and never taxed since before (or after) the DVLA 'manual' records were computerised (in the 70's I think).
Great shame.
It must have been a nightmare to ride when loaded like that!
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Re: Seeking my dads bike KLM589

Post by Rob Harknett »

KLM is an old London ( Stanmore ) Reg. no. first issued Jan. 1949 last issue Dec. 1951. So the bike may be a little younger than you think, DVLA records are not known to have survived.