AJS Model 16MS - VKN 110S

Where is that old bike?
Eamonn
Webmaster

AJS Model 16MS - VKN 110S

Post by Eamonn »

From an email received today:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I bought a 1956 AJS 350 16MS aged 13 in 1973 for £5.00. I rebuilt it and rode it for about 30 years including a trip from Northern Germany to Timbuktu...and back.
In a moment of madness, I sold it in or around 2000 to a dealer in (I think) Ashton Under Lyme. Registration was VKN 110S as it was re-registered in 1976/7. Does anyone know it it survived?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone has information, I'll pass it on.
Corners like a Lego man
clive

Re: AJS Model 16MS - VKN 110S

Post by clive »

Well it does not show up on the DVLA but it does not mean it has not survived. I had a 1949 G80 which also had an S registration plate. At that time registrations of bike which had become separated from their paperwork had to be given a valid number plate for the year of re-registration rather than original manufacture.
I was stopped once by a Police Officer who really wanted to just look at the bike, his reason for the "pull" was that an S registration should have a yellow reflective rear plate, but he then said "but that would spoil it" and sent me on my way.
A few years later rules changed and it was possible to change the registration number to one valid for the year of manufacture so that's what I did.
If the person asking for information did not do this it's likely a new owner did.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix