Matchless - EXK 647

Where is that old bike?
Eamonn
Webmaster

Matchless - EXK 647

Post by Eamonn »

From an email just received:

Hi, I hope you can help me. I am 71 years old, still biking and I am trying to find my Dad's old motorcycle that I grew up with until I was 13-14 years old. He I believe bought it in 1939 second hand and sold it in 1963 ish.

It was a Matchless 1000 cc V Twin manufactured in 1938 and its registration number is EXK647, a couple of years back I saw it was sold at a classic bike auction in 1999 and the DVLC website states that the last log book was issued 24th of August 1999, so I presume it is in a collection somewhere.

My Dad drove it as a solo until I came along in 1949 when he added a sidecar and the bike was used daily until he sold it (for £25 ) to a guy who used to race Scott classic bikes and wanted the Matchless to transport them to races.

I would love to be reunited with the bike and take some photos as I have lost all mine over the years

Hope you are able to help, or point me in the right direction to find out where the old girl is, I will not be trying to acquire the bike as it is well out of my price range

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

If anyone can provide extra information, send to webmaster@jampot.com and I will pass the details on.
Corners like a Lego man
Rob Harknett

Re: Matchless - EXK 647

Post by Rob Harknett »

EXK is a London reg number issued during March and April. Only a few for 1917 seem to have survived.
The bike is listed on the clubs prewar data base which was started approx 20 years ago.
The owner must have passed on details of the bike for the data base. Any personal details of machine owner's were erased many years ago.