Classic Oils

These are the front page News Items. Only Club members can add news items to this forum.
Rob Harknett

Re: Classic Oils

Post by Rob Harknett »

Greg , my remarks were general remarks about advertising on the forum, they were not intended to refer to any one single person. So you should not take them as personal remarks. As some one suggested, it is all to easy to miss understand text and comments made. If I intended them to refer to you personally, I would had said as much. So please do not feel I was having a go at yourself or any other single person personally.

Just noticed another message, for members services go to adverts/ trade and members services. Its there and also get sprinted in Jampot magazine
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

Thanks for that Rob
All the best
Greg
clive

Post by clive »

Stan Palmer wrote:In a specific adverts section open to non-members we would doubtless get some undesirables, but not to the extent that an occasional sweep wouldn't suffice (although even that would be more work for somebody unfortunately).
Stan
That's my fear as the volunteer responsible for the ads and who already spends too much time on the computer rather than fixing my bikes. See my thread "Wanted Ads - a Warning" An open "advertise your wares/services slot" would most probably attract more scammers.

I have done a quick check of some of the big motorcycle club's websites and those that I can get access to at all (not being a member) most either don't allow non members access to their ads, or allow view only, with trade ads specifically excluded. Its different of course with Facebook or yahoo groups which are open forums.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

It's an unwelcome but necessary fact that a large part of how we conduct our lives is now based on modifying our actions because of people with cruel intentions. I had an incidence of this coming back from the Romaniacs. Knowing I would be running around after my son I bought a beautiful little Bahco socket set. It covered most of the fasteners on the bike, small and light and lovely to handle. Unfortunately it became such a part of my daily life that it was still in my carry-on backpack when we went through customs to come home. X-ray machine rejected it and no argument would allow it through. They said it would go in the bin. So even my pretty little socket set became the victim of terrorists (and my carelessness).
I don't like to dwell, so I bought another this week.
So I do sympathise Clive, it would be another responsibility and more work than it should be to cover off that type of person.

Stan
clive

Post by clive »

I was pointed to this thread when clicking on the Classic Oils link on the front page and thought that I should follow up with a note on forum advertising. As a result of a proposal from James and Greg the committee agreed some time ago to a forum based advertising section, to allow interaction and discussion on items requested or advertised. After a successful trial period this was confirmed by the committee. It is in the section open to club members only and has required very little extra work by me as the moderator. I just occasionally go through and delete any longstanding adverts to tidy things up.
Meanwhile I attempt to keep advertising on the rest of the forum down to a minimum by chastising those who try (including myself recently) but allow through references to eBay adverts where the person is not the advertiser. If you are keen to link to your own personal (not trade) eBay ad you can of course do it through the website based advertising pages ( they are in the private section of the forum.) New adverts placed there, like any other new forum entry, appear to members when they click "new posts"
Clive, chief superintendent forum police, otherwise k/a advertising editor.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix