Powered Two Wheelers as a solution to improve urban mobility?

These are the front page News Items. Only Club members can add news items to this forum.
Eamonn Townsend

Powered Two Wheelers as a solution to improve urban mobility?

Post by Eamonn Townsend »

More and more Road Traffic Officials agree!

The Transport Section of the European Commission (EC) is preparing a Green Paper on Urban Mobility in order to develop policies to reduce congestion and land use. The FEMA have been asked to give the motorcyclists' perspective on the role that Powered Two Wheelers (PTWs) can play to improve mobility in European cities.

Mr Bemtgen, since in charge of drafting the paper, is using his new 50cc scooter to go to work in order to test its efficiency fighting congestion. He is absolutely amazed at the time saved commuting every day between home and work. This is a very good sign for motorcyclists as Mr Bemtgen will be able to take a wise approach when considering the real advantages of PTWs in reducing traffic congestion and saving parking space.

Major De Neve, spokesman of the Belgian Gendarmerie, also famous for his TV programme on road safety "Contact", states that his first choice for improving traffic mobility is the motorcycle. He recently declared in the weekly magazine "Telemoustique": "The PTW is the means of transport that I advocate the most. Without exaggerating, I am saving two hours every day by using my motorcycle to go to work. Of course there are some disadvantages connected to it, such as rain or cold weather, but to avoid being stuck in traffic, the bike is the best solution. When I am riding my motorcycle and pass a traffic jam, I laugh behind my helmet thinking that these car drivers will still be stuck there for quite a while!"

A meeting between FEMA and Mr Bemtgen is planned end of September to discuss in length the approach to be taken in the Green Paper on the role that PTWs can play in urban traffic. It is very important that PTWs are properly considered in that paper and we are sure that the right approach will be taken from the beginning.

Federation of European Motorcyclists' Associations (FEMA)Rue des Champs 62, 1040 Brussels, BelgiumTel: 32 2 736 9047Fax: 32 2 736 9401