Spares sales to 'non-members'

These are the front page News Items. Only Club members can add news items to this forum.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

Since the formation of the Club Spares Scheme in the 1980’s the sale of spares has been exclusively to Club members. However the AJS and Matchless Owners Club Ltd is making another bold move forward, and as part of its next 5 year strategy, is now offering the sale of its vast range of spares to a wider audience. This move will increase sales volume and bring higher revenue into the Club thus enabling the required investments in both the procurement and the manufacture of those parts that are becoming increasingly difficult to obtain. This should enable both the restoration and the maintenance necessary to keep existing and newly restored AJS and Matchless motorcycles on the road.

The Club’s Management Committee recognises that this is a major step in the history of the Club but feels that the time is now right to make such a move to ensure the preservation of AJS and Matchless motorcycles. They are keen to point out that this move does not affect the benefits of Club membership and in fact will enhance the Club’s ability to provide those rarer parts that members have come to expect.

The way this works is that a new band of membership has been introduced called ‘Temporary Membership’ - this lasts for 1 day instead of the normal 1 year and costs just £1. By making this arrangement we are continuing to benefit from the tax breaks offered to us by only selling to club members and yet we retain the differential between the ‘full’ members and the ‘temporary’ members. Please be aware the temporary membership does not include any magazine (printed or electronic) and it does not allow the temporary member to benefit from any Spares Scheme discount. Only full members of the UK club can receive those advantages.

This new membership type is now available for any orders placed in person, by phone, by fax or by email to the staff in Kettering. The website at Jampot-spares.com is currently being updated to cater for this new membership type and it is anticipated that the modifications will be completed very soon.

Corners like a Lego man
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

I hope you have considered the security aspects necessary to deal with scam orders or problems with dishonoured payments for this new category of customer.
Sam
steveb

Post by steveb »

Hello Eamonn, have you thought this through ? I would be really pissed off if a spare I needed was out of stock because we were catering to non members....The spares scheme is there to service the needs of club members to keep our bikes on the road. It does not exist as a general philanthropic reseve to be drawn on by all and sundry. Take a look at the price of an amal carb from the club and compare it with the price from Surrey cycles....now think how many we will have to stock to meet demand !!! or are you going to raise the price to commercial level ?
If people want the spares they join the club as I did...the sub is good value. This idea will have the club supplying general non amc items to all leading to price rises to the members......and non availability of items.

This way leads to the dark side young bikewalker !!
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

I made the same argument when the change was proposed, but the decision was made by The Club as being in the best interest of the membership. Now that it has been decided, I support The Club's action.

Cheers, Don.
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Well said Don.

Stephen, I understand your concerns and you make some good points, all of which were discussed by the steering group. The committee work hard for us and often have to take difficult decisions on our behalf. They always operate in the way they consider best for the members. The classic bike scene is going through a difficult phase and probably approaching an even more tumultuous one. It is important that everything is done to ensure the long term survival of the club and its aims.

If it doesn't work out, it can be changed. Hopefully it won't need to be.Edited by - lawrence on 07 Jun 2008 9:08:47 PM
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Whilst I agree that all owners AMC should be club members surely it is better for restorers to put more bikes back in the system,it may come as a shock to some members that people just restore old bikes without being in love with the make.
Chemists do it with test tubes
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Cor, Merlin's managed more than a one-liner

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Edited by - Merlin on 09 Jun 2008 5:40:09 PM
Chemists do it with test tubes
steveb

Post by steveb »

Hello All, I am afraid I remain sceptical, and whilst respecting the motives of the steering committee I still feel we are heading in the wrong dirction......whats next I wonder...a Trade Counter ?

Regards.
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

A trade counter in Southern California would be nice. (But unlikely.)
Cheers, Don.