1966 G2 CSR - Folk info+-6v/12v+Wiring diag+Parts

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
sky

Post by sky »

Can you help with the following:

1. Is it worth the cost and effort changing from 6 volts to 12 volts as this bike will never be used in the dark?

2. I dont seem to be able to find any wiring diagrams of my 66 G2 CSR they seem to be from 58 to 63/64 is mine the same?

3. I am trying to identify which folks my bike as got in, looking at some pictures, these dont quite clarify it. On mine the very bottom part of the alloy section, the spindle is held in by a 2 pinch bolts & a U shaped clamp, just above the spindel there is a small drain plug, at the top of the folks there is a chrome domed plug with a black grommet in, one of the legs has seized up so they are going to have to be striped and rebuilt. I dont want to order the wrong parts.
Any information on striping and rebuilding folks would help.

4. I have been trying to find a good workshop manual unsuccesfully so far, any suggestions?

5. I have seen a product called "Slosh" (ebay) for lining fuel tanks, any good?

6. The sump plug and the threads in the case are a bit iffy any suggestions?

7. Last question, sorry to be a pest, as I live in France ordering parts is a problem, but we come back to the UK once a year and I could collect, can you suggest a good all round parts supplier.

many thanks again
Ken

Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have problems with lightweights also Ken.
Now my 650 twin as you may see here.
2 of my lightweights are 12 v, AJS 14csr died on me and will only run off the battery, if the alternator is disconnected. When I got the G2 which needed a new battery, on connecting it, I only turned my back on it next thing I saw was wiring smoking and burnt out. My 6v G2 csr is fine.Have a look here archives.jampot.dk you may find some info. Club may have spares you may need.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

archives.jampot.dk
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I will get it right

http://archives.jampot.dk/
Ian5913

Post by Ian5913 »

1. Is it worth the cost and effort changing from 6 volts to 12 volts as this bike will never be used in the dark?
# Not really if you are happy with 6Volt and it works leave it original. (my opinion)

2. I dont seem to be able to find any wiring diagrams of my 66 G2 CSR they seem to be from 58 to 63/64 is mine the same?
# It may be, if not it will not have many differences. Look at the one you have and compare it with the colours on the diagram at key positions like the light switches battery and charging points they should all correspond.

3. I am trying to identify which folks my bike as got in, looking at some pictures, these dont quite clarify it. On mine the very bottom part of the alloy section, the spindle is held in by a 2 pinch bolts & a U shaped clamp, just above the spindel there is a small drain plug, at the top of the folks there is a chrome domed plug with a black grommet in, one of the legs has seized up so they are going to have to be striped and rebuilt. I dont want to order the wrong parts.
# Can you post a picture a CSR should have the Heavyweight style forks not the James type. You seem to be describing the correct ones.

# If they are the ‘Heavy weight style the forum and archive should have details.

4. I have been trying to find a good workshop manual un successfully so far, any suggestions?

# Possibly re thread them with inserts

7. Last question, sorry to be a pest, as I live in France ordering parts is a problem, but we come back to the UK once a year and I could collect, can you suggest a good all round parts supplier.
# Club spares scheme, and a few that advertise in the club magazine

many thanks again
Ken Hope this helps Ian
sky

Post by sky »

Thanks for your help, no doubt I will have more questions but I am waiting for my membership pack to arrive. I will see what info is in there.

many thanks

Ken

quote:
# Not really if you are happy with 6Volt and it works leave it original. (my opinion)

# It may be, if not it will not have many differences. Look at the one you have and compare it with the colours on the diagram at key positions like the light switches battery and charging points they should all correspond.

# Can you post a picture a CSR should have the Heavyweight style forks not the James type. You seem to be describing the correct ones.

# If they are the ‘Heavy weight style the forum and archive should have details.

4. I have been trying to find a good workshop manual un successfully so far, any suggestions?

# Possibly re thread them with inserts

# Club spares scheme, and a few that advertise in the club magazine

many thanks again
Ken Hope this helps Ian

bernard lee

Post by bernard lee »

Good luck on that journey
I have been a member for only a month or so, i'm struggling with a 1959 g2
the site and forum has been very helpfull !
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

Neill's "Pink Book" has lots of info on lightweight engines, spares scheme use to stock it.

The wiring did not change, all lightweight looms I make fit all.

Only consider going to 12 volts if your alternator is duff, 2 wire alternators are much cheaper than 3 wire ones, unless you want to uprate your lights or use intercoms or other electronic gizmos (they all tend to be 12 volt)