battery not charging properly

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
g5 butch

Post by g5 butch »

Hi Glen, This is some info and checks that i have done on my g5 light weight. It has a Wipac positive earthed system. I hope this info helps.
1: The first question is when connecting a multimeter to the positive and negative at the battery with the lights on is the voltage increasing with revs? If yes i would look towards your battery... if no i would start to look at your charging system.

2: The first place to check is if any of the wires from the lower charge coil. Disconnect the (white/orange/light green) wires and check if they are going to earth using a multimeter set in continuity. There should be no circuit between any of them and the frame.

3: Check the resistance on each bank of charge coils: between the White and Orange wires should be close to .7 ohm and between the White and the Light green should be close to 1.2 ohm

4: You could also double check the output of them with your multi meter set to A/C
Between the White wire and the Orange wire should be somewhere around 15 volts A/C (or possibly more) with motor at around 2500 rpm also between the White and the Light Green should be around the same, it should increase and decrease with rpm.

5:If this is all ok its time to start looking at the rectifier as they don’t use a regulator they actually use a piece of resistor wire between the frame earth and the switches on the headlight.

6: The diodes can be checked in the rectifier by removing the White, Green and Brown wires from the rectifier.
Using a 6 volt battery connected to a 3 watt bulb test in the following sequence:
Test 1:
1: Positive wire to light green: The other through the bulb to earth. Light should glow
2: Positive wire to white: The other through the bulb to earth. Light should glow
If this is ok rectifier is good
3: Positive wire to brown: The other through the bulb to green. No Light
4: Positive wire to brown: The other through the bulb to white. No Light
Rectifier no good
Test 2:
1: Negative wire to Light Green: The other through the bulb to earth. No Light
2: Negative wire to White: The other through the bulb to earth. No Light
If this is ok rectifier is good
3: Negative wire to brown: The other through the bulb to green. Light glows
4: Negative wire to brown: The other through the bulb to white. Light glows
Rectifier no good

7: If this is ok your motorcycle should be charging. If you are still having trouble I recommend the use of a solid state rectifier regulator. I chose to keep the 6 volt system and used a product called A Reg Six. It can be purchased through Paul Goff at: http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/

Janet

Post by Janet »

Being a simple minded soul and from Yorkshire, my first test to see whether there is any charge is to turn on all the lights using the battery only. Then do the same with the engine revving. If the lights get brighter, there is some power coming from the alternator. It may not be up to it's required level but is a good start, rather than spend money buying expensive components first when all that may be needed is to find a poor connecton, or rogue earth. If it turns out that your alternator is defective, at least you'll know there's nothing wrong with your electrical system. See, there's always a silver lining to every cloud.

Erm, you have connected it up with +ive earth, haven't you?
Ian5913

Post by Ian5913 »

Hi 743GUO

Do you have a Wipac 114 - original - alternator if so you should have White, Light Green and Brown cables. If not do you know the history of what you do have?

All the tests are based on comparing outputs from different sets of these coloured wire.

If you doubt the alternator and are happy the earth, switches, rectifier and that you have not re fitted the battery cables in error (Positive earth is required on a normal set up!) I say this as its a common mistake on a battery change..

Perhaps try a replacement alternator and rotor but its a lot of expense and I would try the output tests first.

Lets us know about the alternator you have.

Ian

GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Hy Glen, my opologies when I checked your status before my posting was made it returned 'Guest' hence my comment, anyway your in the fold again now so welcome back, regarding ITMA, yes very sad, a good and very helpful chap and very supportive if he was on your side his comments and advice are sadly missed.kind regards
743GUO

Post by 743GUO »

I really appreciate all the advice. Wow, what a friendly & helpful place. I won't be able to try any of the tests suggested by Wayne, Janet, Ian or in earlier posts
until the weekend, but look forward to giving them a go. Keep your fingers crossed for me, hope to make progress with charging problem, plus mot booked for Saturday to get me back on the road after a few months off! Glen
743GUO

Post by 743GUO »

"Ode thumper" passed mot today. Fantastic - back on the road. Checked out alternator output again. Definitely ok & discovered it wasn't wired up properly. Still not quite right, but getting better. May need an auto electrician. Anyone know a good one in these parts (chippenham, wiltshire). Thanks again for all the posts. G5 butch particularly helpful. Glen