Kick start moving backwards

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
mn757

Post by mn757 »

The kickstart lever on my G2 is moving backwards on its own accord when accelerating. As soon as the throttle is off it returns back to its usual position. I guess something is starting to mesh somewhere and I'm afraid it will lock up. I've stopped riding the bike until it's fixed.

I have replaced the return spring but it still does the same. Is there any chance I may have caused this when I replaced the clutch last year? I don't remember it happening before, but it may have done.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what it could be ?

many thanks

Martin N
TommoT

Post by TommoT »

On the AMC gearbox, this has been known to be caused by layshaft bearing failure. Somehow the excess tolerance causes the layshaft or it's gears to induce movement of the kickstart axle, especially under load. How this is possible I don't know, but one day I will sit down with a cuppa' and try to figure that one out! To check this you will have to famliarize yourself more intimately with the inside of the gearbox! So not the first thing to check, but certainly one of the last.

Let's hear what you find out.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Its a common fault on lightweights, my G5 does it when accelerating hard (can you accelerate hard on a G5?) the kickstart doesn't move but you can hear the ratchet catching/meshing, I think it is caused by endfloat.
I will be overhauling a gearbox in the next few weeks so I will pay more attention to what could cause this.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
mn757

Post by mn757 »

That all sounds very expensive! Quite happy to strip an engine but don't fancy taking on a gearbox. Thanks for the replies, will have to ponder the next move!
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

The gearbox is a doddle, go on be brave. Not as expensive as you may think.