csr coil valve springs

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
borrowashboy

csr coil valve springs

Post by borrowashboy »

after looking round i can't seem to find any springs for the csr head. are there any other springs [ie, for a bsa or triumph etc] that are the same, or very similar dimensions?
cheers, bb.
Rob Harknett

csr coil valve springs

Post by Rob Harknett »

Springs are the same for all TWIN models, see your parts list. Inner valve spring pt. no. 018347 outter valve spring pt. no. 018348. Club has those, but they do not appear to have 250 csr springs
borrowashboy

csr coil valve springs

Post by borrowashboy »

well that answered nowt why would i need a twin parts list for model 14's?
i know there are no 250 springs, which is why i said i couldn't seem to find any. i am a member of the club and did look on their site first. i have a lead now anyway off my nice friendly local mr gagg [who now, after about a century, don't sell british spares any more]. but if anybody knows of suitable and readily available springs i would be most grateful.
cheers, bb.

csr coil valve springs

Post by 1608 »

Rob, the valve springs for twins changed in poundage after 1960 apparently and should not be used in pre 1960 engines according to the manual. Sorry Ade for being slightly off topic or model should I say.l
Rob Harknett

csr coil valve springs

Post by Rob Harknett »

I did not check the topic heading, just read the message which only stated CSR.
Andrew Engineering makes some springs, and would make others if worthwhile.
borrowashboy

csr coil valve springs

Post by borrowashboy »

remember though, rob, that we are on the model 14/g2 forum and csr would refer to one of the twain
i have an avenue to try tomorrow, hopefully this shop will have what i want.
next project is to make one of the stupid angle brackets for the bottom of the left sidepanel.
cheers, bb.
juanrichardo

csr coil valve springs

Post by juanrichardo »

bb, try Russel Motors 02072281714 (Les), I am fairly sure that is where I got a complete conversion kit for coil set up on the 250's last year.
Good luck, John
borrowashboy

csr coil valve springs

Post by borrowashboy »

thanks john, i'll give them a ring tomorrow. the nice man at sheffield british m/c spares [not!] told me quite vehemently that all the lightweights were hairpin valve springs, till i came back with the part number. he then got even more sulky and definately spat his dummy out. don't think i'll bother with them ever again. yes, he did say £75 for a kickstart lever
cheers, bb.
borrowashboy

csr coil valve springs

Post by borrowashboy »

me again can anybody just confirm these part numbers please? the photocopy of the parts book supplement is pretty bad.
spring inner - 022839
spring outer - 022838
valve collar - looks like f186?
valve seat - 043681
valve collets - 043672
many thanks, bb.
juanrichardo

csr coil valve springs

Post by juanrichardo »

Hi bb, have turned out my old receipt from Russells, your numbers are close, I will quote the incorrect ones - valve collar topis T186, valve seat is o43684, valve collet inlet is 043672 and exhaust (larger stem) is 043673, Les will know !! Cheers John