1964 G2 CSR 3D jigsaw puzzle

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Fatbrunty

Post by Fatbrunty »

Hi,

I'm new here, this is my first post. I bought my G2 last year in bits as a nice project to just put back together and ride, I've built up quite a few (modern) bikes over the years. Anyhow, I suppose it sounds obvious now, but for all of the bikes I've built before I've also been the person to take them apart in the first place so now that I've finally started on the G2 I realise that I could do with some help. Is there anywhere I can look for pictures or diagrams for things like cable routing, where things mount on the frame and which way up? I've seen diagrams for engine and brakes and forks but mine are all still assembled, I'm much more interested in accounting for the spacers and washers and getting the right length bolts without too much trial and error. See Pics.

Basically I'm going to put it back on its wheels, then mount the engine, then fit the rest, unless you know better...

Ian

dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Hi Ian, have a look in Christian's archives. Quite a few pics of lightweight http://www.archives.jampot.dk/Book/Work ... GH_RES.pdf
wilko

Post by wilko »

You'd better turn the headlight off, or you'll flatten your battery!
Janet

Post by Janet »

quote:
Hi,

I'm new here, this is my first post. I bought my G2 last year in bits as a nice project to just put back together and ride, Welcome.

Basically I'm going to put it back on its wheels, then mount the engine, then fit the rest, unless you know better...[/quote]
I'd suggest completing building up the rest of the frame, rear shockers and fit the centre stand first.
en7jos

Post by en7jos »

quote: 3D jigsaw puzzle

You're forgetting the 4th dimension - time, and probably lots of it!

Looks like a great project - enjoy!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
My Matchless G3LS website is here - http://www.matchlessclueless.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ian5913

Post by Ian5913 »

I have to be honest I don't recognise all the bits - I am not sure what this is sat on the seat in the last picture, looks like foot rests - but most of it looks to be there and in okay condition. Not sure I can see the rear frame that the seat should sit on. But the hard stuff to find looks to be present. Should be a good project. Ian
Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

Hi Ian, maybe one of the lightweight owners on this forum is near to you,(any volunteers?), then you could meet up and look at a complete bike in the flesh as it were, take loads of pics of how things are assembled etc......

Steve
Fatbrunty

Post by Fatbrunty »

So I've put it together, finger tight, I'm only missing the brake rod so that might turn up in the garage. There was no centre stand when I bought the bike, it has a home-made sidestand and that is what Ian5913 could see on the seat. I've managed to identify most of the nuts and spacers although I'm struggling with the WW sizes I'm suspecting that there might be a few non whitworth fasteners thrown in to confuse me, altogether there aren't enough plain washers, and there are too many spring washers

Thanks to those who've sent pics, very helpful I'm still hoping for details on how to mount the coil and battery, and what the tank rear mount should look like.

Cheers,

IAn
Janet

Post by Janet »

Blimey! You managed to do all that in just over 24 hours? I'm very impressed.
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

quote:
Blimey! You managed to do all that in just over 24 hours? I'm very impressed.

Me too! Ashamed now over the lack of progress on my heavy weight project! (Although I did start with a frame and am still sourcing bits - that's my excuse anyway!)
It's all just riding motorbikes