250 csr exhaust systems

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
juanrichardo

250 csr exhaust systems

Post by juanrichardo »

Hi, I have recently rebuilt a 1965 250 csr ajs 14, when I bought it it had the correct silencer for the year,ie a long cigar shaped monstrosity.
As it was excessively noisy despite being in excellent condition, I bought a new neater traditional amc type silencer from Armours in Bournemouth.
Unfortunately this was even louder, which was a bit of a surprise.
Subsequently I found out that some lightweight exhaust pipes apparently had a blanked end and a series of holes drilled around the periphery of the pipe outlet over 3-4 inches from the end (enclosed within the silencer of course).
The late swept back csr pipe on my bike does not have this, I am assuming it is an original but could be wrong.
Finally I mention that both these silencers appear to have some form of baffle
Can anyone shed light on this 'baffling'mystery?
John (Dorset)
cbranni

250 csr exhaust systems

Post by cbranni »

I think that all early lightweight exhaust pipes had a pepper pot end to them, I have an original on my 62 250, the silencer is the standard AMC type, again an original, very quiet, my 350 has a stainless steel after market pipe and silencer, very loud.
Pattern silencers are much louder than originals, less bafles I suppose, I fitted a Norton dommie silencer to my 64 350 with an original pepper pot pipe and engine performance was awful, ended up cutting the blanking plate off the pipe and this improved things no end.
If you are looking for a good home for that cigar shaped monstrosity
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Fatbrunty

250 csr exhaust systems

Post by Fatbrunty »

I don't know about original or even about loud, but I bought my 1964 G2 in bits with two downpipes in the box, one has a pepperpot.

Here's a pic if it helps. It looks like the type of thing you could make easily if you like to experiment.

IAn

burrage
Deceased

250 csr exhaust systems

Post by burrage »

Armours should be able to sell you a perforated baffle to fit on the end of the pipe. I suggest you ask them!
CharlesDP

250 csr exhaust systems

Post by CharlesDP »

I have just bought one from Armours for my 18 - but not fitted yet
Charles
RAY BOWMAN

250 csr exhaust systems

Post by RAY BOWMAN »

My 65 250 csr was extreemly noisy even with a
pepperpot on the end of the exhaust oipe but,
with carefull packing with steel wool from B&Q
in the silencer I was able to control that noise.
juanrichardo

250 csr exhaust systems

Post by juanrichardo »

Thanks all, I will experiment with the pipe I have and see what happens, if I have any success I will pass back any usefull information gained, cheers for now, John.
juanrichardo

250 csr exhaust systems

Post by juanrichardo »

Hi all again, just a brief update, re noisy exhaust.
I popped into Armours and enquired about the pepperpot mute for the pipe end, they do keep them for the lightweight and they also have the sweptback pipe for the late models.
I have now fitted this mute in mine, simply pressed into place, it needed no pinning, it has not made a huge difference in noise volume in conjunction with the original ajs silencer type, but it has improved the running considerably, seemingly eliminating a flat spot.
The quietening effect is slight with this standard silencer, I will probably try it with the cigar at some time as well, but I am doubtfull if it will make a huge difference in noise level, all for now, regards, John.
borrowashboy

250 csr exhaust systems

Post by borrowashboy »

makes me laugh this thread does. 30 or 40 years ago we were trying to make them louder i've still got a short reverse cone mega and swept back on mine and it sounds glorious.
cheers, bb.
paul knapp

250 csr exhaust systems

Post by paul knapp »

Right on B.B....down here some of the boys wear 'T'shirts which read;

ÏF IT'S TOO LOUD, YOU ARE TOO OLD
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!