Shock disassembly

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
cherrymetal

Shock disassembly

Post by cherrymetal »

Does anyone know if/how you take apart the shocks on a Matchless G2? They seem to rotate but not unscrew, I understand you can't get replacements for these models, so was hoping to be able to tart up the ones I have.
Geoff
cbranni

Re: Shock disassembly

Post by cbranni »

Hi Geoff, if we are talking rear susspension just put a large spanner under the loop, place a packing piece tween spanner and top cover and push down, when alloy keep is lose pull it out, repeat process for the other one, it works for me.
As regards re assembly, get a strong large mate to push down on the cover and you pop the keeps in, this also works for me.
Others may have better ideas
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
borrowashboy

Post by borrowashboy »

and it's a lot easier if the unit is on it's softest setting. i've done loads. unless the alloy collets are seized it should be do-able on your own.
cheers, bb.
cherrymetal

Post by cherrymetal »

Well I got the top covers off, but can't seem to remove the chrome cover, how does that come off? (it seems to be fixed to the spring some how).
Geoff
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Its more than likely to be rusted in, give it a clout :D :D :D
only dead fish go with the flow
SideValve

Post by SideValve »

Peter W
cherrymetal

Post by cherrymetal »

Thanks all, with some gentle persuasion, I've managed to get both shrouds off each shock. The damper rods are all in excellent condition, no corrosion at all, and the dampers are working fine, so now to order some new shrouds and bushes, and paint the rest, and I'll have a pair of shocks as good as new!!
Geoff
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

cherrymetal wrote:Thanks all, with some gentle persuasion, I've managed to get both shrouds off each shock. The damper rods are all in excellent condition, no corrosion at all, and the dampers are working fine, so now to order some new shrouds and bushes, and paint the rest, and I'll have a pair of shocks as good as new!!
Just like I did and they will look great
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed