model 14 sapphire

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
cartergsd

model 14 sapphire

Post by cartergsd »

Hello, new to the forum, and to the AJS.

Ive just purchased a 1962 14 sapphire. Currently rebuilding it, all the parts appear to be there so good start so far.

Does anyone know if this model should have chrome mud guard? the ones i have currently are black, though it does look like they may have been painted at some point. Ive looked on line but it looks like some are and some arnt, so hence me asking. By the way it is not a CSR engine according to the engine number but does have the "s" for sapphire. (i assume)
Anyway, looking forward to looking around the forum, Thanks.
Rob Harknett

Re: model 14 sapphire

Post by Rob Harknett »

The 1962 AJS model 14 had black guards. About the 60's era bikes were given names. Quite a few marques had names and model numbers. For some reason names never caught on for AJS & Matchles, so if you just said you had an AJS Saphire quite a few people may wonder what model that is. But if you said you had a model 14 most would know exactly what you have. Enjoy the little bike, don't expect to go racing on it. It will take you on some nice rides along the country lanes at 45/50 whithout pushing it too hard.
cartergsd

Post by cartergsd »

Thanks for the reply, really looking forward to cracking on with it.
SideValve

Post by SideValve »

You need a copy of The Motor Cycle 14th Sept 1961

There's a copy here but the quality is not great
http://ebookbrowse.com/1962-redesigned- ... d231047455

I can only find the following week on ebay at the moment - but that might also be good? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-MotorCycl ... 1c2ff337cd
Peter W