G2 clutch slip

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
twager

G2 clutch slip

Post by twager »

I have a 1961 G2 and the clutch sometimes slips when trying to kick start the engine. This problem is significantly worse when the engine is hot. The engine / chain case is running with SAE 50 grade oil. Can anyone confirm if this is a typical problem for this machine and are there any improvements that can be made or is it more likely the clutch components are in poor condition / poor adjustment. There is no discernible clutch slip under normal riding conditions. Thanks.
Janet

Re: G2 clutch slip

Post by Janet »

Take a look at this thread first, http://www.ajs-matchless.com/forum/view ... 15&t=13076 and then do a search of the forum for clutch slip, and/or any other terms that are related. It is unlikely to be a problem related only to a G2 or its AJS equivalent, the M14 so you may find your answers in another section.
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Check that there is clutch push rod freeplay...... The centre pressure bolt on the clutch pressure plate must have slack between it and the clutch push rod...
Check with the clutch cable fully slackened off.then undue clutch inspection cap....slacken lock nut...turn out screw untill no contact with push rod end is felt....turn screw in to contact...then back out half a turn retighten lock nut...and finish job with replacing cap and cable adjustment...Les
twager

Post by twager »

Thank you for your guidance and comments. Tw

Post by 1608 »

After checking what has already been said regarding adjustments etc. Consider that the engine will have more compression when hot, so if there is a problem with slipping it will be more obvious. Most people now consider 50 grade oil a bit too heavy for the primary chain case and is believed to encourage the plates to stick together sometimes causing slippage. Many people now use either 30 grade or even ATF.
twager

Post by twager »

I have now adjusted the clutch as advised and there is no noticeable improvement. A lighter oil in the chain case seems to be the next simplest method of trying to remedy the problem. I have been told that engine oil is likely to make it's way into the chain case via the open crankshaft bearing thus mixing the oils. Do you think this is an issue? Thanks TW
JohnHewes

Post by JohnHewes »

Hi Tony. It will mix a bit, but has done so for 50 years on these bikes and the clutches don't always sip.
Try changing the oil to SAE 40 and if it still slips, take it apart to find the, probably obvious, reason.
Look for weak or badly adjusted springs, plates with burred edges, or not flat, worn out corks.
It's an easy job, and you will learn how the clutch works, and any subsequent issues will be easier to understand. Get a chaincase gasket first, and try to get an experienced eye to look over your shoulder, (but rip it apart anyway!) That's how you will learn. Where in the UK are you, somebody here will probably help?
John
twager

Post by twager »

Hi John, thank you for your help. I will change the chain case oil and if this doesn't result in a significant improvement I will take the clutch apart as you suggest. I have some experience with BSA C15 and Tiger Cub engines from 30 years ago but am not so familiar with AJS / Matchless but will probably be ok. I am based in Hertfordshire. Thanks again.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I swapped to ATF for a while, but currently deliberately using a 50/50 mix of ATF and SAE 50! Mainly because I'm missing the "thrower on the back half of my chaincase and the mix doesn't spray out as much but doesn't encourage slip either.

Johnny B
Rockerbri

Post by Rockerbri »

Hi did you ever get it sorted..? ive had more or less the same thing
MATCHLESS G12 CSR...MATCHLESS 250 CSR...AJS MODEL 20 ...BSA A65 LIGHTNING...HARLEY DAVIDSON ROADKING & SPORTSTER...