Info on AJS model 14 Saphire - 1963

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Colyn Brackenbury.

Post by Colyn Brackenbury. »

Just bought a model 14 Saphire & am new to the club & classic biking. Can anyone help me with some infomatoin on the following:-

1 -Are both the plugs on the bottom of the engine oil drain plugs
2 -What grade of engine oil is required & how much.
3 -Found the gearbox drain plug, but where is the filler plug, the only place i can see to fill up through is the plate with 2 screws above the gear lever at the top of the case.
4 - is EP80/90 grade of gear oil ok & how much
5 - Is there a drain plug for the primary chain case or do you just remove it to drain the oil & again what grade is recomended.the level is just to cover the bottom of the chain i think.

Could also do with a chat with an owner to find out about other strenghts & weaknesses of this model. If anyone has the time let me know
Cheers Colyn

lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Hi Colyn
Welcome to the club. It is a very friendly club, you should really enjoy being a member and owning the bike.

it is a good idea to post the year of the bike as the specs do vary a little. I am not familiar with the model 14 but can advise on the gearbox assuming it is the AMC box (it sounds like it).

3. Fill it throught the two hole inspection cover as you suspect. There is a level plug to fill it up to at the rear of the box. The theory is that you remove the plug and fill it until oil seeps out the level hole. In fact, you can see the level plug from the inside as you peer through the aforesaid inspection cover so there is no need to remove it.

4. Under no circumstances use an ep90 gear oil. The gearbox bushes are phosphor bronze and may seize if this oil is used. A monograde sae50 is still the recommended oil. it holds one pint approx but fill it to the level hole and check it after a few miles.

2. I use Castrol GTX standard 15/50 (not the one for modern engines)for my classics and have had no trouble with them. It should lube better than a monograde and not give too high an oil pressure when starting from cold.

5. Most bikes have a drain plug for the primary case. A monograde will perform best here. I use sae50, same as for the gearbox. I have heard that fork oil is better but have never tried it.

Enjoy the bike. All AMC machines are fine examples of early british engineering. Ignore the oil leaks, ride it as much as you can and it will reward you with miles of smiles.

Hope to meet you sometime at one of the gatherings

Lawrence [}:)]
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

quote:Originally posted by Lawrence Howes

Hi Colyn

it is a good idea to post the year of the bike as the specs do vary a little. I am not familiar with the model 14 but can advise on the gearbox assuming it is the AMC box (it sounds like it).

Sorry Lawrence not an AMC box!

Model 14 is a lightweight (same as G2) these had a large round gearbox. The most important thing to remember with these is that the gears were mounted in the top of the box so it is important to maintain the correct oil level in the gearbox. If it falls too much the gears will not pick up oil leading to wear/seizing problems.

Nice to meet you today Lawrence, nice to put a face to a name. Colin
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Colyn, It is ESSENTIAL that you obtain manuals on you bike before you start tinkering. On www.brucemain-smith.com you will find photo copies of the original instruction book and parts list for your machine.

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Good sound advice Alan as normal that was the first thing I did even before I road my G3LS cheers[:)]

Chemists do it with test tubes
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Surely Alan, the usual procedure is to break it then read what you did wrong? [:I]

(someone has to keep jampot Spares busy) [:I]

This exactly demonstrates why the more people that use the website the better it is. There will always be some eejit giving bad advice, errrr oh yes, thats me then. Luckily there are geniuses on hand to put it right, errr thats Colin, Alan, etc etc etc

Nice to meet you too Colin. I had no idea there was anyone else as young and handsome as me in the club [;)]
chris kelly

Post by chris kelly »

Hi Colin, Just thought I would add my thoughts .Historical bikes can present a puzzle and thats the fun..provides interest in the debate.

Lawrence suggests your gear box is A.M.C. and Colin suggests it is not.The Motor Cycle February 1965 has an article on the 248 cc A. J.S. Sapphire Ninety.Road Test of New Model . Transmission: A.M.C. four speed gear box clamped to rear of engine ... Actually,the article highlights the success of this model winning the Thruxton 500 mile race the previous Summer ,ie 1964 . It goes on ." Following this,in the Autumn when the A.J.S. 1965 range was announced , there was news of modifications to give more go to the Sapphire Ninety ,as this 248 cc model is now named.Coil valve springs replace the hair pin variety.Compression ratio is stepped up from 8. to 1 to 9.5 to 1 and gear ratios are closer than before .A larger capacity silencer is fitted and raised slightly to keep it out of the way when cornering. "

As Lawrence points out it is important to focus on the year of the bike .My Workshop Manual ,and I have not seen any other takes the Lightweight Models to 1964 .The book by F Neil on A.J.S. and Matchless Single Motorcycles also stops at 1964 with respect to in depth comment Partly, 1 think because A.M.C. did not publish much after that date. 1 do own a , "Supplementary Instruction Book for 1964 / 5 Models ,Use this supplement in conjunction with the rider"s handbookfor technical details, also adjustments, that apply to the 1964/5 models only.BUTTHIS IS FOR 350 AND 500cc SINGLE CYLINDER MODELS AND 500 CC SCRAMBLER MODEL. 1 own a 1966 A.J.S. 14 C.S.R. Model and my searching for paperwork has not really produced any workshop manual type material .Books for example, Roy Bacons ,"Matchless and A.J.S. All Post War Road Singles and Twins. RESTORATION " is really good .Probably you will want to verify through the Club what year your bike is . To the best of my knowledge your bike frame number will enable the club to tell you its designation ,A.J.S. or Matchless ,the number of the gear box , and engine number as sold by the dealer. Perhaps they all match..fine. In the case of my bike, registered as 1966 ,and looking the part,,was that the frame was Matchless ,who the dealer was and the number of the gearbox and engine number. My gearbox and engine numbers were different .Anyway ,the Roy Bacon book put my engine in 1966 , and then 1 subsequently realised that I was not going to get precise information on engine changes etc.If your bike is 1965 or a bit before then you may be in the same boat. In a real practical sense it did not hinder me [ I can only do the more simpler tasks ] as a chap in the club ,well respected for his skill ,had my engine completely in bits ,did what was necessary [ and sent me to Alpha Beariings who did the main bearings and other jobs ] and he reassembled the bike .Such chaps don"t need a manual, I believe, and the bike is going really well .Which is just as well as I live in Sweden now as in isolated areas,most of it ,its a problem if you break down.Anyway as to your questions ,

1]Yes they are...."a drain plug is fitted to both the crankcase sump also the oil reservoir. The drain plug for the reservoir is close to the bottom front crankcase bolt." YOU DRAIN BOTH. The crank case sump plug also incorporates a magnet. I had bits of metal on mine once....main bearigs going.!

2 Everyone debates this. The chap who did my engine advised me to keep to the original specification. now available from Castrol Cassic Oils .Roy BACON IN HIS BOOK advises this practice ," a good monograde is to be preferred in these engines " " especially for the singles " Its SAE 50 in the Summer AND SAE30 in the Winter The gearbox takes SAE 50 engine oil. The gear box takes 3 pints and not one as Lawrence suggested..typing error ! "you top up to a level just below the bottom of the orifice for the inspection plate "
3] "To top up or replenish oil for the gearbox remove
'My cat can beat up your cat!'
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

There you go, I knew somebody would know all about it! Sorry for the misinfo about the gearbox capacity. The AMC box does take a pint. Good job I was corrected re the 14[8)]

Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Well, it would probably leak out anyway.

chris kelly

Post by chris kelly »

Hi Alan , and Lawrence , I have heard the comment that ,"providing British bikes are put together properly there is nothing wrong with them ! Any waythe gear box for the A.J.S. 14 and Matchless G2 takes three pints and its an AMC Box . All this" leaking " oil concept should never have happened in the first place." A chap in the bike club here in Sweden told me he bought a new B.S A ,1 think it was a Lightning Twin, brand new in the 60"s and as was his custom, took it apart . He said he found SAND inside the casings .He has still got the bike, by the way.

Chris
'My cat can beat up your cat!'