Novice restoration Ajay 14 1961

Post by Merlin »

PS.............what ever you do don't ask about oil

Why spoil the fun
Chemists do it with test tubes
en7jos

Post by en7jos »

Hi Ian. Nice to read this thread where it looked like the poor old beast was going to be consigned to spares and scrap, but then someone took on the unenviable task of getting it back on the road. I know nothing of this model whatsoever, but surely another one of the marque kept on the road a little longer can be no bad thing? Sure it's probably going to cost you a small fortune, but as long as you know that then it'll hopefully all be worth it in the end.

I'd definitely advise joining the club too. Very cheap, lots of helpful advice, a great club mag and also helping to preserve these bits of history. Go on, you know you want to!

Any chance of some before and after pictures of the bike?

Cheers, James
----------------------------------------------------------------------
My Matchless G3LS website is here - http://www.matchlessclueless.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------
SideValve

Post by SideValve »

I vote for fresh tyres on, getting it running and riding as is. Sounds ugly but more interesting than another bog standard catalogue bike
Peter W
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

Phil, best thing you can do is join this club, next take note of ITMA'S advice you do'nt have to abide by it but he is a knowledgable 'old' sage,
in my view the reasons these bikes were'nt up to much new was the fact they always, until the later CSR types anyway, looked like old mens bikes and were not easy to custormise, I'm a boy of the sixties and they could'nt hold a candle to a Crusader Sports, we did,nt learn about the problems with oil capacity for both engine and gearbox, oil whats that? until much later so this was,nt a problem, my view is assess what you need, price it up if possible, have a go, keep you out the pub anyway, but I reiterate, join this club!. kind regards
ps I'm a member of a number of one make clubs and the VMCC, with defference to the VMCC this the best.Edited by - GOLDSTAR on 10 Feb 2012 09:26:57 AM
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

oh 'scuse me mate, made a 'cock up' most kind and humble regardsEdited by - GOLDSTAR on 10 Feb 2012 5:55:11 PM