HELP head light wires 1964 250 CSR Matchless

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Foxxyl242000

Re: HELP head light wires 1964 250 CSR Matchless

Post by Foxxyl242000 »

Oh I didn't know I needed the group to invite me in as a member. I thought I could just pay dues. I wish there were more Brit riders here were I'm from. I'm like the small town outside having my British bikes. Everyone on here is so helpful. Amazing to me. I retired from Lawenforcement last year so I'm use to people hating my guts. Shame how world is changing. Thank god for you guys being so respectfully and being helpful.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Foxxyl242000 wrote:Oh I didn't know I needed the group to invite me in as a member.
Actually one invites oneself and 'Guest' is a bit of a posh name for it. 'Temporary restricted membership' would be more accurate but a bit long-winded.
Consider yourself invited anyway ;)

It's fine that you're a Mercan (several on here already), but you may have to be prepared for a bit of leg-pulling. Possibly. ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

Foxxyl242000 wrote:Oh I didn't know I needed the group to invite me in as a member. I thought I could just pay dues. .............................. Thank god for you guys being so respectfully and being helpful.
I copied that bit from the website and nearly deleted the bit about needing to be invited as I did not recognise what it meant. Possibly it relates to the fact that when you first register your first few posts have to be approved by a moderator. This is to prevent irrelevant or abusive entries. If you want to join we will welcome you in and I know there are a number of retired Police (our version of the Lawman!) in the membership.

As for being respectful and helpful, I like to think we are always helpful but don't be too surprised if there is some occasional taking of the pi**.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Most forums, also yahoo e groups, you do need to apply to join, then get approved. This is to stop machines and spammers getting in. Most such groups also have an invite to join option. This really only cuts out going through the approval procedure. To become an actual member of the club, you can just join and pay your years subscription. Forum guests do have a limited time period. I believe still 90 days. Full paying club members can access much more on the website Than guests. There is also the monthly magazine, free advertising of parts bikes for sale or wanted. + much more.
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

Sorry you did ask me the other day for colours but I have a replacement loom but now I have seen your pic it's simple. At worst you will blow a bulb.
Going by your pic check that the 2 red wires are the ones going to the dipswitch (as per the wiring diagram)
Then take the rubber cover off the bulb holder.
Find out which wire is an earth the other 2 wires connect to the 2 red wires. As you have one bullet and one connector on the bulb and the same on the 2 red wires I assume that is how they came off.
Blowing the pic up I would say on the main bulb the earth is black and the other 2 going through the centre are the ones you want to connect to the 2 red wires in the shell.
If the 2 red wires go to the dipswitch the only thing that will be wrong is you get the high/low beam the wrong way round so just switch the wires over.

Side or pilot bulb has 2 wires. Looks like green is connected to the centre of the bulb or holder so that is a live feed and the yellow one is the earth to the bulb. Doesn't matter which as the bulb will work either way.
The transluscent wire dangling down with a double connector is an earth so both earths from the bulbs can go there.
Can't quite see the colours of the connector in the shell on the right but it has a few wires going in to it so it may be live??
Last edited by gilburton on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I looked at your pictures and told you where the wires connect. e.g. what colour wire goes to where or the colour it joins to. Did you not do that ???
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

He may have sorted it by now as he asked me on my post about the Lucas headlamp rim on the 5th and I've only just seen his pic..
I think he is getting confused with the different colours on the 2 bulb holders as they don't match anything in the shell.
Chances are the holders are replacements as the originals have a habit of falling apart and while most Brit bikes are the same fitting wire colours don't always match.
That's one thing we have Japanese bikes to thank for as you can rip everything apart and it just plugs back together lol
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The bulb holder wires colours do not match the loom colours. pilot and main beam both have earth wires. On the headlamp it should be seen which 2 wires go to the bulb, one high beam, the other dip beam. They go to the two red wires, does not really matter which, these red wires can be traced to the dip switch. On the pilot bulb, the live wire coming from the centre being the bulb goes on the wire that goes to the headlamp switch. The other wire goes to earth.