Cylinder head spring type and removal

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
ade

Cylinder head spring type and removal

Post by ade »

Hi
What spring type have I and do I need to purchase a special tool to remove them as per the manual or is it easy enough to make a tool?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Re: Cylinder head spring type and removal

Post by ajscomboman »

Hairpin, if you have hands like vices as I do (typical builders hands) then no as you should be able to fit them by hand. If however you're not blessed with large hands then the parts service stock the correct tool.
ade

Post by ade »

Thanks for that.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Removing isn't the problem, it's replacing that I don't have the hand strength to do without the "shovel".

Note the way they're fitted, like you I now tend to get the phone camera out quite a lot! I had a Lightweight and think that like the heavyweights springs should be re-fitted the right way so as to prevent the springs tapping the rocker cover.

I can't recall the measurements but there is a wear limit for the spring set and don't be too concerned about some scuffing where the collet arrangement bears on the spring.

Johnny B
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Head all advice given. Furthermore, in a workshop manual you will see two types of tool in use, replacing valve springs.
Note the way springs are fitted. BUT also look in the workshop manual how they should be fitted. ( at the top one has narrow loop another a wide loop ) PO may had fitted them the wrong way round.