AJS model 14 1959 valve info

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
robstuff2

Post by robstuff2 »

Can any club members just confirm my valve guides are correct before I rebuild the engine.The inlet valve guide is fine and the oil passages function as they should.
The exhaust valve guide does not have a hole that lines up with the passage in the head casting. It does however have a rectangular hole that enters the valve guide and terminates in a small circular hole (on the opposite side of the casting oil hole). This rectangular hole is level with the surface of the head casting and am I correct in thinking that gravity feed, down this hole, lubricates the valve stem?
I have not removed the guides, this is how they where when the engine was stripped down. The clubs dating service puts this engine as a Feb 1959 issue.
If any member can help me please do as I want to get the motor rebuilt !!!!
Steve Martin

Post by Steve Martin »

Hello Rob. I'm not familiar with this model, but since no-one else has yet replied, the following may get you started.
Have you got a copy of "Workshop Manual 1957-64. All Models Incl Lightweight"? [Spares Scheme, 900019, £16.62.] Well worth it.
On Page 38 there is a Part Numbered exploded diagram of the 250 cc. engine. It shows the valve guides etc. The Exhaust Guide is different to the Inlet, having a rectangular groove around it, just under halfway down.Both guides have a circlip at the top, which I would guess should be located just above the Head casting if the guide is fully inserted into its hole. The Manual does say that the guides [ie. both of them.] should be aligned with the oil holes in the Head. Without seeing it, I'd guess you have the correct type of guides, [You mentioned a rectangular 'hole'.]; but it would be worth checking that the exhaust guide is correctly fitted. I don't think you should be able to see the groove.
See if this makes sense; If I'm completely wrong it might prod someone who does know into replying!
Best of luck, Steve.