G2 Outing

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
ajscomboman

Re: G2 Outing

Post by ajscomboman »

Lovely little bike, something unusual and different from the norm.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

shifter wrote:What sort of noise level is yours?
So, not just me then. It is ridiculously loud - and that's with a (short) baffle in.
Initially I tried it with no baffle, but the racket is just embarrassing. :oops:

It's a period Campbell's "silencer" that seems to be designed to radiate as much noise as possible in all directions... :twisted:
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
BultacoBen

Post by BultacoBen »

I believe I've got the same silencer too on my scramblered CSR...

Baffle fell out the other week and good Lord it was loud! Lovely crackle and rumble on the overrun though. I've put a new one in now but think it's dampened it too much so going to have to pull it back out and cut a few inches off.
http://www.ben-eddings.com
1966 Matchless G2 CSR scrambler
1986 Suzuki DR600 long-range explorer
1971 BSA B50T street tracker
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Yes, when I first fitted the baffle (approx 6" long), it felt strangled and the exhaust ran hot, so I shortened it to about 1/2 length and opened up the tangs in the baffle a bit.
Now it runs freely, but it is a touch on the noisy side.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
RAY BOWMAN

Post by RAY BOWMAN »

Hello Shifter,
Nice to read you have had the old bike out, and enjoyed every minute but, 60 mph I never went over 40 ish on it.
Could you possibly put a pic of it on here of it it would be nice to see it again please thanks.
Kind regards Ray Bowman.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Hello Ray
Nice to here from you again there are 2 photographs of her at the start of the chat when i had it out for the first time this year before My daughter (As she is the owner of the bike) takes it out in anger, but here is another pic below. I have done the gearbox fettled the exhaust rebuilt the carb new rocker gasket as it was seepng a bit serviced/tuned the bike along with other jobs since the last time you seen her.
Regards
Kevin (shifter)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by shifter on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
?
RAY BOWMAN

Post by RAY BOWMAN »

Hello again Kevin,
Thanks for your reply nice to see it is still looking good. You did a good job sorting the gearbox leak,but
what did you find amiss in the carb I always thought it was ok. Did you manage to quieten the silencer I
always found it a bit loud.

Thanks again Ray.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Exhausts do effect the running of the engine, although more so on 2 strokes. Too much back pressure will choke the engine as gasses cannot escape freely. Little or no exhaust back pressure, it will run loud and lack power/speed. Prove it by blocking the exhaust, the engine will stop. Take the exhaust off, if you dare, ride it. You will find a considerable lack of power/speed. So don't mess too much with a standard exhaust designed for the engine.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Hello Ray
I stripped the gearbox to replace some of the internals as third gear was a little noisy still got a little noise but nothing to bother about (the joy of using second hand parts) and the leak was sorted by fitting the modified shaft seals from the club. I cleaned the carb renewed the jets slide and needle and so on as part of servicing/tinkering along with other little jobs over the winter also with taking all the wire wool out of the silencer and wrapping a little non asbestos exhaust rap around the baffle pipe as i felt the bike was holding back a little, now not holding back at all and running with a very nice exhaust note . Myself and my daughter are very pleased with the bike and want to try and keep it in tip top usable condition for many years to come
Regards
Shifter
Last edited by shifter on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
?
RAY BOWMAN

Post by RAY BOWMAN »

Hello Kevin,
Good on you done well and enjoy.
Kind regards Ray Bowman.