Gearbox output shaft bearing

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Gearbox output shaft bearing

Post by Ozmadman »

Go to page 4 lightweight gearbox problem in the general topics help section for info on the lay shaft bush
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Got it, thanks.

The spares scheme no longer lists 041289, but it's listed as a cheap part by Andrew Engineering.
I'll give them a call...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

clanger9 wrote:Got it, thanks.

The spares scheme no longer lists 041289, but it's listed as a cheap part by Andrew Engineering.
I'll give them a call...
That's where I got mine and they were the correct dimensions. Get a spare as well as they will be closing down at some point in the near future, wonder who will get all their spares???
Paul
1960 Model 8
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Thanks everyone for the good advice! I've now tracked down a replacement sleeve gear in excellent condition (and a replacement bearing as well), so all is good. I've got all the other bits; now all I need is a replacement bronze bush, which I can get from Andrew Engineering.

For anyone wondering what the difference is between the early sleeve gear and the later type with the undercut dogs, here's a picture:
IMG_1035.jpg
The difference is pretty obvious - hopefully this will of help to anyone trying to find the right part at auto jumbles, as I couldn't find a photo of the two types of gear anywhere...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1993 Ducati 750SS
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Glad you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.. NICE PICTURE of both gear types. Based on all the recent discussions on this subject I checked my spare (early) box and it had the later sleeve gear matched to the original peg type 3rd gear so half the mod had been done at some point. If you need the modified third gear (with dogs) to match up with that nice sleeve gear (don't use the peg type that was used with the old gear) then speak to Malcolm at Andrews he has a few in stock. I and Steve S on here have been sorting this out with Malcolm recently so just mention that it is the gear that Paul and Steve have bought (the one without the groove) he will know what you mean.. If you want the full run down on this issue this is the thread

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 8&start=40
Paul
1960 Model 8
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Good point - I'll post a picture of the matching gears as well, as it seems some people have got a mix of the early peg-style sliding gear with the later dog-style sleeve gear. Which is never going to work as well as the correct setup...
1993 Ducati 750SS
thornebt

Post by thornebt »

Ozmadman wrote:
clanger9 wrote:Got it, thanks.

I'll give them a call...
That's where I got mine and they were the correct dimensions. Get a spare as well as they will be closing down at some point in the near future, wonder who will get all their spares???
Hopefully our own spares scheme might be able to do a deal for them? Cheers. Bruce.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Here's a photo showing the two types of sleeve and sliding gears:

You can see why it would be a bad idea to use the later type of sleeve gear with the early sliding gear - it would sort-of work, but the dogs would be damaged pretty quickly.
1993 Ducati 750SS
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

clanger9 wrote:Good point - I'll post a picture of the matching gears as well, as it seems some people have got a mix of the early peg-style sliding gear with the later dog-style sleeve gear. Which is never going to work as well as the correct setup...
Well, you say that but mine did work and when I took it apart (now my spare box) everything inside was fine on both gears!! Steve's was a bit mangled though. The only reason I took the original box out was because it had a 3rd gear whine and a bad main seal oil leak. The bike came with a spare box in bits (the current one now on the bike) when I bought it so I rebuilt that one and just swapped them over. The original (now my spare) box and now with the correct 3rd/sliding gear will be rebuilt as and when I get time.
Paul
1960 Model 8
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

OK, if it works fine (and doesn't jump out of gear) then I guess the dogs aren't subject to too much load. Perhaps mixing the gear styles isn't such a big problem?
The manual is pretty clear that both gears should be replaced together, so I wonder why people haven't always bothered? It's not going to save any time. Maybe just to save a few quid on the extra gear...
1993 Ducati 750SS