Gearbox output shaft bearing

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Gearbox output shaft bearing

Post by Ozmadman »

This is one thing I have never had a problem with this, checked my pics and it looks like I have the later type set up in my current gearbox, will be interesting to see what the original (early) type box has in it.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Well I tried for ages to vary the spring tension but it would only slip on when it wasn't tensioned at all - useless.

So I had an idea to re-assemble in reverse order, ie beginning with zero tension and installing the outer cover to the inner cover first and then tensioning the kickstart spring and lastly dropping the end cover vertically on to the mid section clusters etc. It worked a treat and all the gears select correctly!

Now I will disassemble and put in the new O rings and gaskets and hope that I can repeat the exercise.

Steve S.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Update!

I now realise the photo I posted earlier is wrong: the circlip is supposed to be the other side of the washer. The idea is to stop the kickstart spring from pushing the kickstart shaft against the layshaft. Like this:
IMG_1272.jpg
I get it now; the modification makes sense and would stop premature wear of the bush in the end of the kickstart shaft. Only thing I'm not sure about is which way around the dished washer should be. I suspect it's wrong in this photo...

Thoughts?

[edit: the dished washer appears to be the right way round in this photo. If I reverse it, the circlip won't fit...]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Didn't spot that but it is a while since I took mine apart... no excuses for lack of observation though, that's twice now!!!
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed