AJS newbie.

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
garyg2mad

Re: AJS newbie.

Post by garyg2mad »

Hi Geoff
I have found you a set of G2 1960 Crankcases' please check your e mail ' There's some information there for you and forward your contact details
Regards Gary
geoffb-63

Post by geoffb-63 »

Hi Gary, sorry, nothing in my email, checked spam also just in case, could i please ask you to re-email, best regards, Geoff.
clive

Post by clive »

oldgit61 wrote:The G2 I am building up (on a budget) seems to have a 1960 ajs model14 frame and a 1961 matchless G2 engine. I'm building it as a Matchless, what the dvla will register it as who knows. 60 or 61 AJS or Matchless?.
Rob H made the point earlier in this thread that the frame part for an AJS or a Matchless of the same model has the same part number. Whilst true this does not resolve the issue of whether a pile of bits is an AJS or Matchless as far as DVLA are concerned. They will require confirmation from the dating officer from factory records and the frame number will specify one or other of the marques. They will not be interested in the marque of the engine but will want to know if it is of similar age to the frame and will say it an AJS or Matchless based on the frame alone.
in my experience they will send an inspection officer to report on bike who will be establishing that the numbers on frame and engine are as on the application form. Mostly they will be wanting to establish that the bike is predominantly from old parts not newly manufactured bits in order to give it an age related plate. I have no idea how they would react to seeing what their records say is an AJS which was fully badged as a Matchless.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
oldgit61

Post by oldgit61 »

clive wrote:
oldgit61 wrote:The G2 I am building up (on a budget) seems to have a 1960 ajs model14 frame and a 1961 matchless G2 engine. I'm building it as a Matchless, what the dvla will register it as who knows. 60 or 61 AJS or Matchless?.
Rob H made the point earlier in this thread that the frame part for an AJS or a Matchless of the same model has the same part number. Whilst true this does not resolve the issue of whether a pile of bits is an AJS or Matchless as far as DVLA are concerned. They will require confirmation from the dating officer from factory records and the frame number will specify one or other of the marques. They will not be interested in the marque of the engine but will want to know if it is of similar age to the frame and will say it an AJS or Matchless based on the frame alone.
in my experience they will send an inspection officer to report on bike who will be establishing that the numbers on frame and engine are as on the application form. Mostly they will be wanting to establish that the bike is predominantly from old parts not newly manufactured bits in order to give it an age related plate. I have no idea how they would react to seeing what their records say is an AJS which was fully badged as a Matchless.

My frame is is dated as a 1960 AJS, (by dating officer) and my engine apperars to be a 1961 G2 from engine number. I have been advised that the dvla would more than likely give me a 61 plate as they go by the newest main component. (frame / engine). I'm going to call it a Matchless even if the V5 ends up saying AJS. It's not going to be "as left the factory" as I intend to ride it rather than show it.