AJS newbie.

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
clive

Re: AJS newbie.

Post by clive »

geoffb-63 wrote:Thanks for the welcome,
............... as a club covering both marques, is there a preference between the two? regards.
Yes get one of each.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
geoffb-63

Post by geoffb-63 »

Hi, thanks to all for the replies.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Welcome to this very good friendly and helpful club/forum we at about 45 miles north hope to see the photographs of your bike in action in the near future, my daughter and I love our lightweights.

shifter
Last edited by shifter on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
?
geoffb-63

Post by geoffb-63 »

Hi, not a million miles from me as i live in Stockton, i am currently trolling British bike breakers nationwide, that i know of, to see what if any secondhand spares they may have, especially tinware, i may even consider buying another project if it is more complete than mine, cheap as poss obviously, ebay/gumtree/preloved not much available at present, check daily, no rush for me though and being retired have more time than enough to spare.
Janet

Post by Janet »

There are a few members here who live within 20 miles of you including my sister, although she doesn't ride. She does act as a depository for bike bits until they can be collected by whoever lost them. :lol:
raffles

Post by raffles »

Hi welcome to the club
The club (kettering classic bikes) has a 250 project for sale phone and ask for Andy
good luck with your bike
Tony
geoffb-63

Post by geoffb-63 »

Hi, checked with Andy, the project has been returned to its owner, it may still be up for sale or not? have his contact number, apparently it was being rebuilt as a trials/green laner, so, did not have the origional mudguards etc, however, there are some mudguards and a fuel tank available, not sure if they are a bit expensive at practically £450.00, i know these items are a bit scarce, will have to give it some serious thought, there have been projects recently on ebay, in fact one last week a G2 went for £148.00, whilst looking a bit sorry for itself was at least complete, unfortunately, missed the auction end as i was travelling down to collect my project, never mind.
oldgit61

Post by oldgit61 »

The G2 I am building up (on a budget) seems to have a 1960 ajs model14 frame and a 1961 matchless G2 engine. I'm building it as a Matchless, what the dvla will register it as who knows. 60 or 61 AJS or Matchless?

I've got a front mudguard from a francis Barnett ( well it will fit the forks ) not sure what the rear guard is off but I'll make it fit.

Taper roller head race conversion ( I made that)
The top end is all good but the big end was knackered.That is now fixed, it has been machined and fitted with a Kawasaki 1100 roller bearing. ( thanks to Colin Applebee ). Should be indistructable. :D

Only a few bit to get/make now and put it together time.
garyg2mad

Post by garyg2mad »

Hi Geoff
I should be able to find you a set of G2 Crankcases , Dated around or the actual year , I have a few spare ones , I will have a look for you Regards Gary
geoffb-63

Post by geoffb-63 »

Hi, if you could find a set of 1960 G2 crankcases that would be superb, they would match for the year, i could then build a genuine G2 Matchless, regards, Geoff.