Matchless g2 250 csr

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
MarkD

Matchless g2 250 csr

Post by MarkD »

Hi all
Today I took delivery of my new G2 250 CSR (1964) matchless, first impressions I am really impressed, the history file that came with the bike is very comprehensive all logbooks, I am the 3rd owner from new, mileage 2500 most MOTs confirm this. But their are 2 things (faults) of concern 1. petrol taps are leaking so I guess I need new washers, but which ones to suit super unleaded? The clutch is so so heavy, the cable is thinner than a bicycle cable, is this the norm or can I lighten its operation with a new cable?
In advance thank you for your time, Mark....PS the side stand it's lean angle is well basically near horizontal is that the norm.?
Rob Harknett

Re: Matchless g2 250 csr

Post by Rob Harknett »

Washers can get dry and hard when not used. Is it tap washers or joint O type fibre washer. Clutch cable and Clutch thrust rod can get dry perhaps a bit rusty. Lubricate them. What you feel as hard may in fact be normal. This is all really normal service work that needs looking over, if the bike has not been regularly used and serviced.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Regarding the heavy clutch, s cable that isn't free running can cause this and a new cable isn't very expensive, but, from experience* I'd be suspicious of a clutch that's reluctant to disengage for some reason.

*That was what was wrong at the Dutch International Rally in 2016. Investigation showed that the clutch centre wasn't sitting squarely with the shock absorber centre inside it, so the plates couldn't move freely in the grooves when the pushrod was operated.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Hi Mark,

Welcome to Lightweight ownership! They're lovely little bikes.

My bike has heavy-duty clutch springs and a scrambler clutch pack and I don't find the clutch particularly heavy.

The clutch can feel heavy if it's adjusted incorrectly: it has to be exactly right so that the leverage is correct on the operating arm.
Basically, slacken the cable completely and adjust the screw on the end of the clutch basket to give just the tiniest amount of clearance. Then adjust the cable to take up most (but not all) of the slack.

Hopefully the clutch will feel better when correctly adjusted. If not, it'll need a strip down to smooth off any burrs on the basket, plates, springs, etc.

Good luck!
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

MarkD wrote:The clutch is so so heavy, the cable is thinner than a bicycle cable, is this the norm or can I lighten its operation with a new cable?
A useful check is to remove the cable then re-route it it in the most sympathetic way, even completely outside the frame/tank etc. Although it wouldn't be practical to ride it like that it will give a clue as to whether it's the cable itself or its routeing that is causing the stiffness. With a flimsy cable the conduit (outer) can compress when the lever is operated and not only is movement lost but the conduit can distort and/or crush a bit and cause friction on the inner.
Over-tightening of the clutch pressure springs can cause a heavy action. It's only necessary to tighten the springs just enough to prevent the clutch slipping, say when pulling hard in 4th up a hill. Rather than keep getting togged up to go for a trial run I set mine up by putting the front wheel against a wall and trying to drive forward, then tightening the springs a bit at a time until I can stall the engine at a bit above tickover (perhaps at one eighth throttle) in 1st gear.
On the Heavyweight models (I don't know much about L/W bikes) the h/bar lever should have 7/8" between the nipple centre and the centre of the lever pivot bolt. Many pattern levers are 1" which requires more finger strength to operate the clutch. (Ditto the front brake lever).

This photo shows the difference (on an experimental and temporary twin-lever set-up) between a flimsy cable from an autojumble (top one - front brake) and one from Venhill Cables below it (clutch).
K-Lever on Marigold (640x480).jpg
Alternatively you can fit a spare chain link to reduce the finger span for a stronger grip...
Barleverlink2 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi Mark and welcome to the club.... When I first got my lightweight my clutch was so stiff that I almost got RSI (repetitive strain injury) riding it. After a while I could hardly ride it and it was painful to pull the clutch in after a short ride. I hadn't ridden any bike for nearly forty years so what I thought was too tight and stiff was apparently normal (as has been mentioned here already) and gradually I just got used to it and I don't even think about it now. Still follow the suggestions given here but they are reasonably stiff anyway compared to modern bikes... men were men when these bikes were made! ha ha !

As for the side stand, have you a picture of it so we can see if it is original (it was an optional extra) or a pattern one.. Also, have a good look underneath and the bracket that supports the stand. Mine actually snapped one day about a week after I had finished the rebuild and paint job and it crashed onto the kerb.. fortunately the handlebars and footrest (one good thing about non folding footrests) took the brunt of the fall and no real damage was done. Yours may be fractured if it is leaning over that far and you have the original stand on it. Here is a pic of the fracture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Great advice guys thank you...Today I have removed the clutch cable it's in poor condition (this suprises me as the bike seems pretty immaculate, but I understand all that shines is not necessarily gold), the cable was routed poorly and in 2 places was compressed. My plan is to replace it along with a leaky petrol tap. I notice the bike has NO air filter fitted, the official service manual states it's not necessary in the UK....

Thank you for the advice on the side stand I will inspect closely and upload a pic.....

KR

Mark
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

MarkD wrote: I notice the bike has NO air filter fitted, the official service manual states it's not necessary in the UK....
This question was posted here just a couple of days ago and fully answered (and also perhaps just a bit flippantly ;) )

See here:

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=22712
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Thanks for the link, interesting...my opinion is no grit etc can really get in due to the side panel cover.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

MarkD wrote:Thanks for the link, interesting...my opinion is no grit etc can really get in due to the side panel cover.
I have the details of the genuine filter if you need it and I made my own "pattern replica as I wanted a filter despite the fact that the consensus back then was that you don't need one.. All bikes should use one in my opinion
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed