Fork bushes

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Eke54

Fork bushes

Post by Eke54 »

I'm putting a 1961 G2s back together from boxes of parts. It has the early forks with pressed steel yokes, are the bushes replaceable, as they are not listed in the parts book and they are very tight on the fork legs ?
Paul R

Re: Fork bushes

Post by Paul R »

Had the same problem re worn out bushes not long back when starting my rebuild . They are soldered onto the fork legs , carefull use of a blowlamp will allow them to be pushed /pulled off . I was lucky and the lower steel bushes on mine were Ok but the bronze top ones were worn . I made some new top ones from imperial size oilite bushes ( 1 1/2 OD 1 1/4 ID from memory ). Easy enough to get hold of. Cut to length and then either turn ( if you lucky enough to have access to a lathe ) or file chamfers on ends to get the oil seals back over . Resolder on . I had to get the oil out of the oilite bushes to do this by heating them up ,the oil then burns out ,once cleaned they resolder easily enough . If immersed they will soak up new oil once done . Other will know a lot more than me, just my take on this . Good luck.
Eke54

Post by Eke54 »

Thanks,I'll give it a go, where would I get the oilite bushes, i've not heard of these before ?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

eke53 wrote:Thanks,I'll give it a go, where would I get the oilite bushes, i've not heard of these before ?
Jeremy. Just put oilite bushes into Google and you'll get loads of hits:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source= ... QlOKE-080k
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'