Points back plate Req New /Replacement ?

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
RB63AJS

Points back plate Req New /Replacement ?

Post by RB63AJS »

I have just returned back to getting a bike and have a 250 14 CSR 1965 ,the bike has no points ,condensor, and back plate when purchased ,can any one point me in the right direction for replacement back plate /adjuster plate or is there a modern alternative to points i can use without replacing the back plate.
Any info greatly appreciated
RB63 AJS
Rangy65

Re: Points back plate Req New /Replacement ?

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi There i possible have a second hand spare one that might be of use. Failing that you can fit a boyer electronic ignition. I have a fair bit of experience with lightweights having 3 myself.

Where are you in Lincolnshire?

Cheers

Steve
RB63AJS

Post by RB63AJS »

Hi Steve
Thanks for the reply, Im in Sleaford,i would be interested in the the points back plate ,or advise ,I had a brief look at the electric ignition system on line last night but would like to know if you have one fitted to your machines as I'm not sure of how easy they are to install,My bike had all of the electrics take off i when i bought it so i am in the process of getting the parts together ,i ve got the new wire loom , stator ,rotor, battery for a 12 v system on its way, should be here by the week end, so the option for the electric ignition might be the best option.Can i have your thoughts on this please .
Cheers
Richard
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Richard i am in Boston so not far away if you want to come over and have a look at my bike. I have converted to 12V very easy and i am running a Boyer ignition on my 1959 G5 ( 350 version of your bike).

As a matter of interest do you have the auto advance mechanism for the points?

I will send you a PM with my contact details.

Cheers
Steve
RB63AJS

Post by RB63AJS »

Hi Steve,
Really appreciate the offer and i would like to take you up on this, It would be good to have a look at the electric ignition system and get some idea of what i need to get the old girl back on the road again. Its been sitting in a shed since 1979 as an unfinished project ,As for the auto advance mechanism yes it has this.
Cheers Richard
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Richard hopefully you have my e-mail with contact details

Cheers
Steve
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

RB63AJS wrote:Hi Steve,
As for the auto advance mechanism yes it has this.
Cheers Richard
Well that's a result as they are rarer than vampires at a garlic party.. I have a spare but that's not going anywhere. It has been said that they can't be repaired when they wear but they can, I "repaired" my original which is still on the bike by putting some tiny washers under the circlips to remove the tendency for the weights to twist when worn..
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed