G2 CSR Fork Disassembly

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Hedley Walker.

G2 CSR Fork Disassembly

Post by Hedley Walker. »

Hi This may be the first of many pleas for help as I repair a sadly neglected Matchless G2 CSR.

I have the front forks down to the Alloy Slider and Chrome stanchion. The oil seal is still in place but I have unscrewed the damper bolt by the axle.

Does the slider pull off the stanchion using brute force as I can't shift it and I don't want to damage it further?

Thanks Hedley
Rohan B.

G2 CSR Fork Disassembly

Post by Rohan B. »

Have you removed the fork top nut, and also the chrome slider extension that holds the oil seal in place. The latter has a fine thread into the top of the alloy slider, and can be difficult to remove without damaging it. A large rag and pair of stilsons (plumbers wrench) often works wonders. remove the drain plug and drain the oil also.

If these are out, and bottom bolt, then a sharp pull apart in opposite directions should sperate them - don't wear your best clothes, oil can fling everywhere if they seperate unexpectedly...

If it is quite rusty or corroded, even internally, you may need to work it up and down quite a lot before it will move enough to succeed.

have fun,
Rohan.