Gearbox

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
ChrisTheChippy

Re: Gearbox

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hi just an update on the gearbox rebuild and a question for the forum. I decided to have a dry run and fit the gearbox inner cover to check for any problems before applying sealant however I can't seem to get the kickstart ratchet to disengage and when the Kickstarter returns I can hear it clicking against the other gear. I am pretty certain I have things in the right order. When looking at the gearbox diagram the inner spring looks like it goes under the kickstart ratchet . This means it pushes the ratchet against the starter gear all the time . Just doesn't seem right to me. There is obviously no oil in the gearbox atm and I'm wondering first have I got things in the correct order and second will it make a difference when oil is added .
Cheers Chris
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

You're right that the spring fits under the ratchet - the spring is there to push the ratchet against 1st gear when you press the kickstart.
The kickstart return spring pulls the ratchet away from 1st gear by the forcing the ratchet against the casing.
These pics might help: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/AJS-Matchl ... 77#s172048
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Thanks I have also fitted the Kickstarter return spring as I suspected that might have something to do with it. The spring seems to be particularly weak when returning so I think it might need renewing to do it's job properly.
I tried to wind it up tighter but that seems almost impossible. I'm just going to have a look at the link.
Cheers Chris
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hmmm problem might be how I am assembling this I have definitely got things in the right order but the return spring in the picture looks a lot tighter wound up than mine . Still think it might need renewing but I'm going to have another go using a different method first .
Let you know how it goes.
Cheers Chris
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

ChrisTheChippy wrote:Hmmm problem might be how I am assembling this I have definitely got things in the right order but the return spring in the picture looks a lot tighter wound up than mine . Still think it might need renewing but I'm going to have another go using a different method first .
Let you know how it goes.
Cheers Chris
Hard to explain and a few years since I have worked on these boxes but you need to wind the kick start round further on the ratchet so that there is enough tension to pull it back upright when used. You can't tension the spring itself as that is fixed in its position but you can tension it further by doing the above
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Here's another thread with a similar discussion: http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 25#p182525

Basically, you fit the return spring FIRST. At this point it's loose.
Now put the kickstart on and tension the return spring by moving the kickstart through >90 degrees by hand.
Now fit the coil spring and the ratchet onto the kickstart shaft.
Release the kickstart and it'll pull the ratchet in with the return spring hopefully tensioned by 90 degrees.
If it's not tensioned right, repeat the steps but put the ratchet on one tooth further round on the shaft.
It takes a few goes, but eventually you should get the return spring tension right.

Good luck!
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Thank you both for your replies. Sounds silly but I have been sitting here half watching TV and working it out in my mind . Paul I get it now and clanger9 great clear explanation . I plan to have another go at it tomorrow if I finish work early enough .
I will let you know how it goes. Still think I might have to renew return spring though.
Cheers Chris
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

ChrisTheChippy wrote: Still think I might have to renew return spring though.
Cheers Chris
They are pretty tough and either work of they break!! so yours should be fine
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hi well sorted out the gearbox ratchet problem. Thanks for the help and advice . Works really well now . Really simple to do and I don't know why I couldn't seem to see the bleedin obvious when it was right in front of me. :D
Ok so I thought before I do the gearbox final assembly I will just have a quick look at the clutch see what the state of play is there. Good job I did as the rubbers in the clutch center are complete toast and have made a hell of a mess as they have degraded. Plates don't seem to be in too bad condition and wear is acceptable . I plan to completely clean deburr and reassemble the clutch.
So next question are these rubbers available from our hosts ? I can't seem to find them on the website . Or can anyone point me in the right direction where I can obtain them ?
Best regards
Chris
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hi sorry false alarm found and ordered rubbers from our hosts.
Helps when you wear your glasses :D
Cheers Chris