Fuel Taps

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Jefftaff

Fuel Taps

Post by Jefftaff »

What size thread is the fuel tap going in to the tank? I don't have the old taps but need two new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rob Harknett

Re: Fuel Taps

Post by Rob Harknett »

It will be a Gas thread, you may need to state year model of bike. There's more than one size.
Check the pt. no. you need and search club spares taps. Not forgetting the correct size washers you will also need. ( Not easy to find correct size in multi packs or B&Q house tap packs.
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

They will be either 1/8" or 1/4" BSP (can't remember which on a lightweight).
Taps are available from club parts service along with the correct size dowty washer.
Jefftaff

Post by Jefftaff »

Rob Harknett wrote:It will be a Gas thread, you may need to state year model of bike. There's more than one size.
Check the pt. no. you need and search club spares taps. Not forgetting the correct size washers you will also need. ( Not easy to find correct size in multi packs or B&Q house tap packs.
1961 G2 looked up part no and it says not available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Hello, JT.
Have a look at Draganfly's website - search for fuel taps and it'll come up with a very useful page that will help you identify the tap size you need. BSP (British Standard Pipe thread) sizes are confusing because the thread size relates to the bore of the pipe not the thread diameter. Many types of tap are avaiable with various combinations of threads for both the tank end and the carb end, along with various adaptors. They vary in price quite a bit and as expected, you tend to get what you pay for. If youre not overly fussed about originality and you dont like fuel leaks as the old corks get older :-) then the BAP tap is a reliable one
Steve
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi You need 1/8 thread for the tank side and 1/4 for petrol - you can get taps from loads of places - I prefer the lever type rather than push pull.

Dont forget the spigots for the fuel line as they don't come with the taps.

Regards
Steve