Bar end mirrors, any good?

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

Hi

I want to fit some mirrors to my Model 14. I've seen some bikes with bar end mirrors and they look quite neat and as they are not on long stems I imagine they might vibrate less.

What I'm wondering is do they actually work or is rearward vision obscured by the riders arms?. I've seen plenty offered for sale on websites but is there a favoured make/model?.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Mick
TommoT

Post by TommoT »

...they're ok as long as you don't expect crystal clear images. Vibration will blurr most objects, but you can still see if something is coming up behind you and it's approximate size. Go for it! I don't like the long stalked ones either.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Dick Hobart

Post by Dick Hobart »

Bar end mirrors are not only very good, they're essential on today's roads. I think Stadium are the best but they're all OK. Rear vision is fine once you've got it adjusted. Only problem I have is when my daughter's on the back she does the hand signals - a great help but her arm fills the mirror! ( I could overcome this by fitting a nearside as well as an offside - but it's not too much of a problem as I always have a good reccy before tapping her knee to make the signal).
Ride safely
Dick.
Egor Rider

Post by Egor Rider »

Hi I have just fitted a Barend mirror to my AJS 14. And it is the best mirror I have out of 4 bikes. Plus they fold up nicely when passing through tight spaces. P.S its crystle clear up to about 50 then starts to blur,but nothing too bad.Just look at some of the fixings as some look rather "cheep".
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

I've wound 10 or so turns of plumbing solder around the arms of the bar-end mirrors on my 18S. This 'improves' the image from ever-so very blurd to slightly very blurd.
Charles
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

BUY THE JAMPOT SPARES ONE, IT IS EXCELLENT! And you know it makes sense as Jampot are the only parts supplier ploughing all their profits back into the provision of new parts for just us. Rear sprocket/brake drums unobtainium??? not any more thanks to JSL etc etc and you are keeping the lovely Louise in work.

Of course if you have a twin with T&L dynamically balanced crank you don't have blurred rear vision he smugly said
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

Ah, but if I don't want vibrations I take the Aston out. Says he even more smugly...
Mick
itma

Post by itma »

just get older then everything looks blurred even standing still
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

Older than what.....
Mick
deshollier
Deceased

Post by deshollier »

I think they are great, I dont suffer any blur due to engine vibration, even though I ride a G9, just suspension shake (I don't know if it is the mirror or me that is shaking!)