Sparks

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
ChrisTheChippy

Sparks

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hi all,
I had a spare couple of hours between jobs today so thought I would nip over and check the spark situation with the G2 . Now I can turn it over via the newly rebuilt gearbox it seemed like the perfect time to check for a spark . Hooked up a fresh 6 volt battery reconnected the points lead cleaned the plug turned over the engine and YES I have sparkage .
I must admit though it wasn't the really fat blue spark which I would like to have seen just a bit weak . However I still have a new set of points to fit and all the connections to clean up . The po had chosen to ignore the readymade hole in the crankcase which the points lead goes through and instead choose to simply crush it with the outer engine cover so once I've also attached a new wire I'm hoping for a vast improvement in the spark strength .
No leak's from gearbox except for around the Kickstarter shaft weeping a bit really annoying so I guess I will be trying a rubber grommet pushed up against it under the Kickstarter. That's going to drive me mad .

Has anyone tried grease in the gearbox ? Such as is used in Enfield bullet gearboxes . I am aware of the position of the gear cluster but wonder if it would work ? Cut down on the oil bill's 😀

My next job now to clean out carburettor and oil the cables then rig up a dummy petrol tank . Unfortunately S W M B O has decided that we have to go to France for a friend's wedding next week so this will severely limit fettling time . Doesn't the woman understand that I'm trying to get the bike ready for the jampot rally ? Answers on a postcard please 😉
Cheers Chris
Rob Harknett

Re: Sparks

Post by Rob Harknett »

You must tolerate a bit of oil leaking.
clanger9

Re: Sparks

Post by clanger9 »

Sounds like you're not far off getting it going...

If the spark is "thin" (and there's a big spark at the points) then fit a new condenser. If everything is working you should have a relatively small spark at the points.
Don't forget when setting the ignition timing that you have to move the weights to full advance. For some reason I always forget this...
Grease won't work in this gearbox. The mainshaft roller bearing would be unlikely to survive without oil and the bushes either end of the layshaft would suffer.
Leaking from the kickstart shaft is normal (and yes, it's annoying). A grommet between the kickstart and the case works for me.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS