Images wanted...PLEASE

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
good-hifi

Images wanted...PLEASE

Post by good-hifi »

Hi

I'm looking for some images of proper AJS Model 14 CSR's. Preferably 1963.

Does anyone have any photographs or brochure images they could scan and email to me?.

I have several books with pictures, including THE restoration book, but none of them are definitive or are so unclear as to be next to useless.

It would be nice to see what my machine should actually look like....

Cheers
Mick
lawrence

Images wanted...PLEASE

Post by lawrence »

Hi Mick
It's your bike why not just do it how you like it?
good-hifi

Images wanted...PLEASE

Post by good-hifi »

Honest, I'm not rivet counting and in any case having the tank chromed and painted would be far toooooo expensive .... but I would just like to see what they were like when they were new.

Cheers
Mick
chris kelly

Images wanted...PLEASE

Post by chris kelly »

'My cat can beat up your cat!'
itma

Images wanted...PLEASE

Post by itma »

Is that photo a bit over exposed Chris?
chris kelly

Images wanted...PLEASE

Post by chris kelly »

Hi Mick, A book entitled ,A. J.S. and Matchless Gold Portfolio 1945 -1966. Brooklands Books. ISBN 1 85520 - 352 - 9 In this book there are eight press reproductions of the 250 with a lot of pictures. There is the 248 cc Model 14 AJS 1959, Road Test , 248 cc Matchless G2S "Monitor Sports1961, Road Test , 248 cc Model Super Sports Matchless, Road Test 1962 .....the pictures here should help you.. I know its not 1963.....but in the same book..248 cc AJS CSR Road Test April 1964 ..very good pictures..in this road test they say , " This model was introduced in May 1962 as a sporting version of the Model 14S .(.so this should be your bike..).." and has continued in the range unchanged . the improvements incorporated in the CSR stem from the Woolwich scrambler and make impressive reading compared with the standard two fifty..smoother inlet passage, bigger inlet valve, a bigger ( one and one eigth inch choke ) carburettor,higher ( eight to one ) compression ratio, scrambler hair pin valve springs with high loading to curtail valve float , steel flywheels,larger crank pin, duplex primary chain : the result is a tough little engine which would, presumably, respond to more ambitious tuning than it currently receives at the factory." There are eight good pictures.. two sides, one " Head on "...(nice drop bars . )plus other details.lots of information in this article. Thencomes 248 cc AJS Sapphire Ninety Road Test FEB, 1965 mentions this model last Summer ( ie Summer 1964...with " this sports model really hits the limelight with a clear cut class win in the Thruxton 500 mile Race. Its success, which remained a talking point long after the meeting, was a reminder that the quarter litre market is not the exclusive preserve of non British manufacturers. Following this, in the Autumn when the AJS 1965 range was announced , there was news of modifications to give more to the Sapphire Ninety, as this 248cc model is now named. Coil valve springs replace the hairpin variety. Compression ratio is stepped up from 8 to 1 to 9 . 5 to 1 and gear ratios are closer than before. A larger capacity silencer is fitted." Then comes Matchless 250cc Road Test July 1965. Then Super Sapphire AJS Model 14 CSR Road Test Jan 1966. Then comes AJS and Matchless Two Fifty Singles Road Test Feb 1966. Hope this helps. The Bacon book will give you lots of detail too. Brooklands Books Ltd are at PO Box 146, COBHAM SURREY, KT II ILG Phone number is or was 01932 865051. I bought my book about 5 years ago.
chris kelly

Images wanted...PLEASE

Post by chris kelly »

Well Ken,,, Good joke..I put it down to being retired, my glasses, having just sold my 250cc 1966 AJS (plenty of interest in Sweden) or.. it could be " living in Sweden" Chris.
good-hifi

Images wanted...PLEASE

Post by good-hifi »

Hi Chris, I do have this book, I also have several others. I'm looking for some colour pics and that seems to be the problem. The only colour pic I saw was about 80 pixels wide in an eBay auction for some documents and the seller (nice guy) refused to send me a larger image even though the listing had closed 25 days previously.

Cheers
Mick
itma

Images wanted...PLEASE

Post by itma »

quote: could be living in Sweden
It could well be if some of the Swedish girls we see over here are anything to go by........
my eyes are not so good either........

When I can afford it I visit a Swedish lady near here who hurts me, but makes me feel much better
alan

Images wanted...PLEASE

Post by alan »

hi mick,
is this the photo you are looking for? found on this site.
regards, alan.
http://www.jampot.com/pic_display.asp?id=341