Tank/seat gap. Is this correct?

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Lowen1981

Tank/seat gap. Is this correct?

Post by Lowen1981 »

cbranni

Re: Tank/seat gap. Is this correct?

Post by cbranni »

No, your seat location looks good but your tank looks too short, what are the tank fixing like, the tank you have may be an early S model which was shorter and had different rear fixing. The photo isn't very good either, do you have better one.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Lowen1981

Post by Lowen1981 »

The bike is a 1959.

I'm new to AJS, this is my first classic bike. I'll try and get a close up picture.

Most of the tanks I've seen trailing the web have a chrome ridge down the Center with an off set fuel cap
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Is that 1960? bidding has ended now to get better pic. on e bay
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.09.20_14h22m37s_002_.png
Ashampoo_Snap_2018.09.20_14h20m51s_001_.png
Compare. Colour us 59 B&W 60 note different seats & Tanks
Maybe you have wrong seat or tank depending on year
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lowen1981

Post by Lowen1981 »

Its a 1959. I think it's been imported as the registration is 1999 on the v5.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

I think the tank looks wrong. Its only recently i found out the lightweights had 2 different fixing sizes for its tanks.
Have a look under the tank and see if the tank is fitted directly to the mounting brackets and not with stretcher straps.
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

It looks like the tank is mounted correctly (and it is a 58/59 tank) but the seat looks like it is for the later (bigger/longer) tank so the nose of the seat is further back and the reason you have a gap between the two.
Lowen1981

Post by Lowen1981 »

Just had a look the Tanks mounted correctly. The tank bolt is located and can be seen in the gap so my thoughts are with the incorrect seat.

Does anyone know where I could find a seat or what part number the seat is for this model
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

John Jarrett wrote:It looks like the tank is mounted correctly (and it is a 58/59 tank) but the seat looks like it is for the later (bigger/longer) tank so the nose of the seat is further back and the reason you have a gap between the two.
If you looked at my two pictures, you should see the 1959 bike has a different seat. So it is your seat that is wrong. It is 1960 onwards not 1959. Better it is the seat wrong as that's easier to change.
If You are not a club member it may pay you to join the club. Then place a free advert for the correct seat you want or swap. If you get a swap. You will save more than your clubs membership fee. The bike may have lost its reg no. and was re registered 1999 It will probably say declared manufactured 1959 be Historic class ( tax free ) also M o T exempt. If not then you may need the services of our club dating officer. Who will advise, what you need to do to get the year fo manufacture correct and the bike tax free M o T exempt. ( More money saved if you are a member ) Adverts must be placed in e.g. parts wanted section.
dodger

Post by dodger »

I have just finished restoring a 1959 G2. I couldn't find a correct seat anywhere and Leightons do not make this earlier seat.
The front fixing on the earlier seat is straight up an down not forward facing as on the later seat. I linished the front bracket off and made and fitted one of the correct orientation.
I then cut the seat pan in half and inserted a piece of metal so that the rear fixings again lined up. This was sent to Leightons who upholstered it.