Ratchet spindle problems

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
good-hifi

Ratchet spindle problems

Post by good-hifi »

I just replaced the gearchange ratchet spindle on my Model 14 CSR.

The reason I had to replace it was because the shaft on the old one had snapped in the middle so there could be no gear indication and there was nothing to stop all the oil leaking out of the gearbox.

So, now it is back together (and then one of the wires burnt out and I've had to remove the tank and seat and cannot get them back on but that is another story) but it still isn't as I think it should be.

I would imagine that the ratchet spindle shaft should protrude beyond the actual gearchange shaft so that the gear indicator would not foul the main gearchange shaft. But it doesn't, the ratchet spindle shaft is recessed in the main gearchange shaft by about 3 or 4 mm.

Can anyone shed any light on this?.

Goodness I've just read what I wrote, I hope someone can make sense of it.....

Desperate and frustrated and disillusioned.
Mick
Egor Rider

Ratchet spindle problems

Post by Egor Rider »

Hi,
I know just what you mean as I had trouble with my gear indicator pointer thing.My one is as you discribe set the pointer to the position you want it but just "nipp it up" the same go's for the gear lever clamping bolt TOO tight and the G/lever won't return back to its position ready for the next change.

P.S. why do we mess with these "old clonkers" when theres always something to be fixed?
Steve Martin

Ratchet spindle problems

Post by Steve Martin »

Hello Mick, assuming all the parts are correct, and correctly assembled, would a tubular spacer, and perhaps a longer indicator bolt , help by taking up the shortfall inside the gearchange shaft? That would allow the pointer to be firmly clamped without jamming. Given the dimensions, and a lathe, it would be a simple job to turn one up. Send me a private e-mail if stuck.

I am not familiar with this machine, but it would be useful to know how common this problem is; might there be different lengths for any of the related components, eg from the 250 to the 350? It seems an odd thing to have been designed in from the start.

Egor, my wife asks me that most days!.... I hope she's talking about the bike.....

Cheers, Steve.
good-hifi

Ratchet spindle problems

Post by good-hifi »

Thanks Steve,

I think I will have to take this apart to see what is going on. What a waste of oil!!!

I now have another Model 14 here which also has to come apart but which has working gear indication. I'll compare the two to see if I have made a pigs ear of rebulding the first one.

One suspect that I've made a right mess of it.

Cheers
Mick
lawrence

Ratchet spindle problems

Post by lawrence »

quote:
What a waste of oil!!!

You are not going to reuse the oil? How wealthy are you?
good-hifi

Ratchet spindle problems

Post by good-hifi »

Can I reuse it more than three times then......
Mick