Tank mounting, not for the faint hearted!

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

When the workshop manuals, user manuals, F. Neill etc. books were written for our machines I don't suppose anyone ever thought that this far down the line people would still be maintaining them.

Trouble is that although most things mechanical are covered; detail was never the order of the day. Obviously the writer thought we would be stripping down a machine which was as built by the factory and putting it back together would just be a reversal of stripping it down.

When we come to trying to repair a machine that has had a million owners, a million non-original parts and the odd bodger mechanic along the way, life becomes difficult.

A simple task like trying to fit the fuel tank on my Model 14 CSR becomes a daunting task. It has new rubbers but the person that ''''RESTORED'''' it put the rubbers under the mounting lugs. NOT between the tank and the lugs which is where , I would guess, they should be. Now the thing is that these rubbers are so thick that there is no way they can actually fit between the tank and the mounting lugs without the tank fouling the handlebars, which are probably not standard either.

However, since the books, and I have them all, have not one diagram, or even a mention, of how the tank should be mounted I am in the proverbial.

So, would some kind sole please take the time and trouble to tell me how on Earth the tank should be mounted.

In return I promise, once this nightmare is over, to draft a manual which does not expect the user to have a new bike, a degree in 1950s engineering, a neighbour with a similar machine, or the draughtsmans original drawings.

Of course it will be available to all model 14, and other interested, owners for no charge.

I just know that this is not going to be the last issue, got to do the seat next, I have with this 'fully restored' , 'mint' machine and if the person who sold it to me is reading this. THANKS

Cheers
Mick
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

In this situation I would probably slice a bit off the rubbers with a sharp knife. As long as there is a fair amount of rubber between the metal surfaces and no metal to metal contact (eg via the bolt) it should be ok. Quite possible that the rubbers are the wrong ones. They are on both my bikes.

When things are not right and require some thought it all becomes so much more interesting. In these instances try pretending to smoke a pipe. Surprising how a 'Harold Wilson' stance make your brain come alive. Naturally I am too young to remember HW but my mam told me about him

Now you know what probably not to do Edited by - lawrence on 21 Jul 2006 10:37:27 PM
itma

Post by itma »

now you know why "as found "machines fetch such a premium and why folk like me who ruined themselves trying to sell decently assembled bikes are so cynical

If you wish to reduce the height of the rubbers. chose a bolt or stud that is a tight fit in the central hole, mount this in an electric drill, which hold in a vice if not on a stand; switch on drill spray WD 40 onto rubber and hold one of those disposable scalpels to the rubber; CAUTION hold the scalpel underneath the rubber, pointing WITH the rotation not against it; so if it snags it hits the wall not your gut you can slice quite thin slices like this to get the correct sizes.
Ideally of course you should do this on a lathe.
You should fit a rubber washer each side of the mounting lug to do the job properly.
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

Good ideas guys. I think I will try to cut the rubber washers in half and fit them either side of the lugs. (one for the book)

Lawrence, I actually knew (when I was very young) Harold Wilson when he was P.M. and had dinner with him once. Quite a nice person and his Wife was a lovely lady. both very down to Earth and able to converse with people my age (then) without talking down. Not sure if he had a bike though.......

Now then, how do I get the 'T' piece to stay in it's slot at the rear of the tank....

Cheers

Mick
Egor Rider

Post by Egor Rider »

Hi
Just took a pic of my tank rubber mounts AJS 14csr 1966 . But cant seem to put them on here for you to see .The rubbermounts are approx 1" in size. And fit under the tank but on top of the frame bracket. Hope this makes sence. The "T" piece at rear of tank must of been designed by a DRUNKEN FOOL. You have to guess where the slot is in the tank and push the T piece up in to it and then give it a quarter of a turn,whilst in that position you need to put on the rubber/washer and retaining nut ! "GOOD LUCK" I hate removing my tank and usually get some one to hold the handle bars staight as it is very easy to scratch the tank with them.
I hope this helps I will keep trying to send You a pic .
Mark.
Dougie

Post by Dougie »

Good Hi-Fi

Just so that you don't feel too bad, I had to remove the tank on my "oily-rag" G3 c1939 (for maintenance, repairs etc.). I noticed that only 3 bolts were securing it. I bought a complete tank mounting kit (2 sets of rubbers, spacers, washers & bolts) and when I came to re-fit the tank I could only get 2 mountings in! After much struggling, sweating and swearing I finally managed to get 3 mounts in, as it was when I removed it. There is no way on earth the fourth mount will go in without surgery and so, it still has only 3 mountings! That's life, I guess.
Brothers Matt & Neal with joint membership
chris kelly

Post by chris kelly »

Hi Mick, You can"t have "em all ( books, that is ) as claimed, as my " Illustrated Instruction Book" published by AMC has a section on " How to remove the petrol tank " T he front bolts are easy , the rear single tee bolt a bit fiddly. When I purchased my 14 CSR the previous owner had what he called an Earth wire, just an independent short bit of wire across the two front fixing bolts. Eventually I did not bother fitting this . Is it important ? Chris.
'My cat can beat up your cat!'
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

I want it, I want it.

Seriously though. If you would loan the book to me I would scan it and make it available to all and would of course return it to you in the condition it was sent to me. I'm sure that most Model 14 / G2 owners in the land would be deeply indebted to you.

Re the bolts. The two bolts that WERE at the front of my tank are drilled. I'm sure this is for locking wire and is a safety feature. After all petrol is expensive an we don't want our tanks falling off....

I think your seller was referring to an earth bonding feature which would prevent sparks from static electricity. The only time I have known these to be used is fuel tankers when refuelling aircraft and one supposes when tanking up a petrol station. Since the tank is already earthed to the frame by the bolts and since the bike is earth to the ground by the stand this would be a redundant and unnecessary feature in this respect.

Please think about the book.

Cheers
Mick
itma

Post by itma »

quote: Text not sure if he had a bike though?

memory recalls a Marcia something or other

oops wrong forum!
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

quote:
Hi Mick, You can"t have "em all ( books, that is ) as claimed, as my " Illustrated Instruction Book" published by AMC has a section on " How to remove the petrol tank "

Just realised, I do have this book but since my machine is one of those that fits in the category

When we come to trying to repair a machine that has had a million owners, a million non-original parts and the odd bodger mechanic along the way, life becomes difficult.

and is bodged so the book doesn't help very much because it just say's take note of the position of things but it does not describe or illustrate the positions or show us what these 'things' look like.

I'm sure the author knew this sort of thing would happen 40 years down the line and I can hear him laughing even now...

I reckon I'll use tap washers...

Cheers
Mick