Tank mounting, not for the faint hearted!

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

There are no top two nuts on the Model 14, just two bolts which screw into the tank at the front and a T bolt at the rear.

Since they have not to be unduly tightened so the tank may move (glad someone found a reference which agrees with what I 've been saying all along) it makes sense to wire them so they do not come loose over time.

AJS kindly drilled two holes in the boltheads for this purpose..:-)

Cheers

Mick
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Sorry Mick, I was on the wrong thread, I was referring to Lawrence's wiring of the brake stay.

Steve Martin

Post by Steve Martin »

Sorry Mick, if I've misled you; the 'loose bolt ' arrangement does really only apply to the pre-'50s sleeveless version. The sleeved type is designed to be done up as tight as any other normal fastening, and as Alan says, if you are going to wire them , why not wire all the others? If you leave them loose they'll fret the threads, which is perhaps why the sleeve was introduced. The continuing reference to wiring up in '50s technical literature is probably just conservative folk-lore perpetuated by old guys repeating the ideas they grew up with; not like us at all!

Is this topic beginning to go round in circles?
Cheers, Steve.Edited by - Steve on 29 Jul 2006 9:55:07 PM
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

I have just lost the will to live if that helps
Chemists do it with test tubes
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

I had my fill of lock-wiring 20mm cannon mounts on Meteors! Considering the the holes in the bolts when used with the spacers, the scenario probably goes thus ;- chief designer sketches an improved tank mounting, takes it along to chief draughtsman, who gives it to Jimmy the junior with the instruction 'draw this up and dimension it' Jimmy gets the original drawing out, and being a bright lad, spots the provision of lock wire holes, asks the chief what should he do and is told 'Dunno, specify a No. 52 hole through the head, better to be safe than sorry'. Have actually seen this scenario in my Apprentice days.

john

Post by john »

Alan I agree 100% and now you have got me started.

From my own design experience it smells of lazy designing.

The point of the design had been lost and when a modification came around old parts were just modified and the wire locking holes were left in because “we always wire tank fixings”.

Whether due to poor management or the Chief Engineer being more concerned that his new Humber would give the right image down at the golf club, I cannot tell.

But the resent quiz photographs gave another more serious example of poor design management. Two redesigns in two year to give a full width front brake with all the performance and internal working part of a half width! Not a design to push technology forward.

Of cause this left the market open to people who would take a fresh approach to a design problem and if did not work were willing to start again. The real difficult thing is to abandon an idea that works well just because you want it to work better and I think the Japanese are as guilty as the British in not always having the courage to follow this through. For example the Honda CBR600 concept is 18years old and the engine in Suzuki’s GS500 has been in production for 28 years (how long was AMCs single engine in production for 30 years?).

This has been very therapeutic I now look forward to going to work on Monday to kick some old design(er)s about. Thanks for listening
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

I just bought a 1985 Yamaha. I'm goiong to drill all the bolts and wire them up...
Mick