Post by Rangy65 »

I dont know why my photo's are duplicating themselves :headbang:

Here's the new one strip on my latest G5 rebuild
Tanks strips 3 (1).JPG
Tanks strips 3 (1).JPG
Tanks strips 3 (1).JPG
Cheers
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChrisTheChippy

Re: Chrome strip

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Thank you to everyone who replied and thanks Steve for your detailed explanation . I will certainly take another look at the chrome strip I have but I have to say it simply seems to be too small to fit the tank I have . I will take another look and let everyone know if I solve the mystery . Cracking bike btw that's a real corker love the colour.
Regards Chris
bob121

Post by bob121 »

Do these strips stand up to much manipulation. I'm going to have do some serious bending in places to get it to sit on my tank. When I originally tried to shape it,it was trying to distort, so I backed off.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Chris

When I replaced the chrome strip on my G3 the rear tab on the new one was too short, I solved this by soldering on a copper strip, made from an 'unrolled section of copper plumbing pipe.
Tank Trim.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Thanks Mick
Think we are getting nearer the answer . Seems like due to tank variations one size doesn't fit all, as Janet mentioned ages ago ! I will look at it again over the weekend and see if there are any alterations I can do and still achieve a professional looking result .
Bob trouble is you have to be a bit careful when manipulating the strip if it kinks at all it will be extremely difficult to bend back to shape . Even if you apply heat to reshape it will discolour the chrome .
Cheers Chris
shifter

Post by shifter »

For what its worth this is a spare tank strip I have looks a little different shape to the others in prior posts
?
garyg2mad

Post by garyg2mad »

Just a quick note regarding the lightweight fuel tanks , The Early 1958/59 250 2.75 gallon bolt mounted fuel tank was not fitted with a centre strip ' This tank was also used on the CS scrambler models up to 1962 . The tank was then replaced with a larger 3.5 gallon t bolt mounting tank on 1960-1 250/ 350 models ' Then it was replaced again with a slightly smaller 3.25 gallon one from 1962-66 . So hence the difference in the strips ' The bigger 1960 -61 year tank probably requires a longer one ' The majority of tanks being the longer produced later one may need the shorter one .
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Thank you for your post Gary . That explains a lot my bike is 1960 and is I believe the larger tank. Do you think a chrome strip for a 650 would be a better fit ? I haven't had a chance to do any bike fettling for a while due to family issues so still haven't sorted this out yet . I hope to get time in the next few weeks .
Regards Chris