Chrome strip

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
ChrisTheChippy

Chrome strip

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hi all
I purchased a chrome strip for the centre of my tank on the G2 however it is quite clear that no way is this going to fit . This has made me realise that there must be differences in the tank sizes between the different models . My G2 is a 1960 model but has a later tank from what I think is called the monitor . My tank has the chrome panels and I have seen these on the CSR models but didn't realise that they are a different size . Am I correct in my reasoning ? Does anyone know if the chrome strip from the 650 CSR will fit this tank ? Or which one I need to order from the spares dept . The tank has polished up really nicely and the chrome strip will finish it off a treat .
Cheers Chris
Rangy65

Re: Chrome strip

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Chris does your tank have detachable chrome panels? or is the tank chromed then painted over?

Best thing to do is post a photo

Cheers

Steve
bob121

Post by bob121 »

When you finally get it fitted, maybe you can do mine. Because it looks like a blind man has fitted it (model 31 650). After the first one hundred miles, the only part of the strip that is now sitting on the tank anymore, is the first inch at the top. There must be nearly 1/4 inch gap. :headbang:
Janet

Post by Janet »

Chris, in what way doesn't the chrome strip fit? I have one on my G2CSR which is probably original from the factory so I could have a look at it. My bike is a '64 model and the tank is chromed and then painted, as Steve said.
One problem with the tanks is that they have different part numbers because each finish or paint colour has a separate number, which makes it harder to identify whether or not the bare tanks are the same.
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hi thanks for the replies. My tank is chromed then painted over , sounds just like the tank on your bike Janet . The problem is that the chrome strip as supplied for the G2 is too small . It's far too short and I could tell immediately that no way was it going to fit . I can't complain and I'm not moaning at the spares dept as I ordered it .
I guess I will have to phone and see if they can accept a return on this as it's still in the packaging .
These are not particularly cheap and I can't afford to make another mistake ordering another wrong one .
On the plus side the bike is coming along nicely and I'm really pleased with it just the finishing touches now .
Don't know how to post photos but I will try to post one when it's finally done . ( Probably ask my teenage daughters and when they've finished laughing they will help )
So any pointers or ideas about what to ask for when I phone will be useful.
Cheers Chris
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Sorry Bob 121
Forgot to add , these chrome strips are just bent around a special bracket at each end of the tank , you may be able to take your one off and re tension it correctly , although that does mean removal of the tank . Not a difficult job just a bit fiddly .
Cheers Chris
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

ChrisTheChippy wrote:Don't know how to post photos but I will try to post one when it's finally done .
Chris, there are instructions on posting photos here: http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=12424
Corners like a Lego man
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Ah
Thanks Eamonn,
Looks like I will have to bite the bullet and give it a go .
I'm rubbish at this tech stuff.
Cheers Chris
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Chris the tank strips are tricky to fit and get the right tension on them. There is a front and back and its easy to get the shape wrong.

The flat strip should sit on the tank as far down as the lower handle bar clamp. Put the front end( flattest part of the curve on the strip on first) and get the position right. Slide the flat tab part through the thin opening under the tank and the fold back to secure.

The strip will only sit on the tank when you bend the bottom tab out away from the tank. You then need to work the bottom tab into the slot at the lower rear of the tank. one through the gap you will then need to use grips or pliers to pull through the tab until the strip sits over the ridge. i have used a rubber mallet gently to ensure the strip fits as well as possible over the tank ridge.

I had these made for the club and original strips were used as the pattern.

I have attempted to post some photo showing the original strip and the first prototype. My 59 G5 with its original tank and strip, my spare tank and my latest G5 build with a brand new strip on it.
Tanks strips 3 (2).JPG
Tanks strips 3 (2).JPG
Tanks strips 3 (2).JPG
Cheers
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

I also find posting photo's a challenge ( sometimes)

Here's some more of my spare tank with its original but broken strip just so you can see how it fits
IMG_0665.JPG
IMG_0665.JPG
IMG_0665.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.