Gearbox Parts

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Martin.S

Re: Gearbox Parts

Post by Martin.S »

Talking of oil dribbles - as we all know the Norton Jubilee and Navigator shared the same gearbox internals (and part No's) and the Norton owners club list 'Quad' O' rings along side the standard ones. (AMC. parts.com - Hint Hint !)
Here's a commercial link describing them :- https://www.gallagherseals.com/blog/the ... an-o-ring/

I'll give them a go after I've finished spending all of my money on other people (Bah Humbug)!
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Martin.S wrote:Talking of oil dribbles - as we all know the Norton Jubilee and Navigator shared the same gearbox internals (and part No's) and the Norton owners club list 'Quad' O' rings along side the standard ones. (AMC. parts.com - Hint Hint !)
Here's a commercial link describing them :- https://www.gallagherseals.com/blog/the ... an-o-ring/

I'll give them a go after I've finished spending all of my money on other people (Bah Humbug)!
We stock them but may not be in the L/W section they'll be in gearbox H/W. The kickstart one may need looking at.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

You see - that makes this all hard work - why aren't they listed in the L/W section?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Martin.S wrote:You see - that makes this all hard work - why aren't they listed in the L/W section?
Because it's not a specific L/W part as it fits both therefore it's listed by part number according to the factory books. When I have time I'll add the description so can be found more easily.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

:headbang: :headbang:
Roy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

In the spares manual for the L/W, which I know you'll have naturally! You'll find that the o rings are listed as 040006 and 040079 and guess what, if you use the quick search on the home page using those numbers it takes you straight to the part!

We also list the x seal as 040006x.

Come on people, do your own legwork first before making comments.

There is no o ring on the kickstarter and the usual method of sealing this is machine the case and fit a lipped seal, this can also be carried out on the gearchange shaft.

Description now updated to list L/Ws and should appear in L/W section
shifter

Post by shifter »

I had no problem finding and ordering the said o rings for the L/W gearbox I did last year in fact I ordered two sets of the normal and the x o rings and they were at my house the next day. Just as well I ordered two sets as I have just done a model 14 gearbox in the last week that needed new kickstart and gear shaft return springs so the spare o rings came in handy
shifter
?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

shifter wrote:I had no problem finding and ordering the said o rings for the L/W gearbox
shifter
Think they were talking about the Quad rings not being in the L/W section, the o rings and X type seals ( both of which are useless BTW) have always been listed there as far as I was aware
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Quad ring is also called x ring by some, as far as useless, I disagree. I've had numerous successes in swapping the plain o ring for a quad/x one and the drips have ceased. However that all depends on the wear on the shaft but that's true with any type of seal no matter super duper it's meant to be.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

ajscomboman wrote:Quad ring is also called x ring by some, as far as useless, I disagree. I've had numerous successes in swapping the plain o ring for a quad/x one and the drips have ceased. However that all depends on the wear on the shaft but that's true with any type of seal no matter super duper it's meant to be.
So it's the same thing then? the seals look like normal seals but the quad ring in that link looks like it has 4 raised sections around the diameter? Pity they don't so an X/quad version for the small ones in the selector shaft
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed