Is my clutch adjusted correctly?.

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

I've adjusted the clutch on my Model 14 as prescribed by comments I've read elsewhere in the forums. So that the everything runs true when the engine is turned over on the kick start.

It has new springs and the three adjusters are not all screwed in the same amount.

I have two symptoms.

When I kick the engine over it takes two/three kicks to get it turned. The first/second kick(s) feels as if the clutch is slipping and so everything is moving bar the piston. A full travel kick does not always get the engine turned over.

Once the engine is running gear engagement is rather a clunky/noisy affair as if the clutch is not disengaging.

So the symptoms are rather contradictory to each other....

Any ideas folks?.

Cheers

Mick
treebor99

Post by treebor99 »

I have never adjusted a clutch on a model14 but couldn't stop myself from responding - no doubt to be shot down in flames.

I'm sure your clutch IS slipping and thus not turning the engine over properly when using the kick start.
As your three adjusting screws are screwed in differing amounts it sounds like the springs have different pre-loads applied - hence when you operate the clutch by pulling in the lever, compressing the springs.
The spring(s) with the least preload will no doubt compress more resulting in a non parallel (or perpendicular depending on your preference) pressure plate/basket thingy wotsit - not sure what you call it on these 'proper' bikes, still learning the lingo!
Resulting in it dragging, or not disengaging evenly around the full circumference.

I would say do them all up to the same torque and I bet it will work better.

You don't say why you were tinkering, was it just because of something you read somewhere or was there a problem to start with?

now I shall duck out of here and go home before the wise amongst you shoot me down with pearls of wisdom.

Trevor

Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it for long enough.
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

I have taken the pirmary chain case off and indeed the clutch is slipping.

Thing is that the books description of how to adjust is wooly. Do the threads of the adjusters have to just be showing in the recess of the adjusting nuts or just be protruding from the very end of the adjusting nuts?.

Cheers
Mick
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Hi Mick
The nuts are not all done up the same amount. It sounds as if you have done it correctly but need to tighten it a little. Screw the adjusters so the nut tops are flush with the top of the bolts then take each/any one in a little further as necessary to get the end plate revolving evenly. I think you have done this? If when you have done this the clutch is slipping then just tighten each nut a further turn but remember to check it still rotates evenly , adjust if needed. Check the clutch by standing on the kickstart and jumping up and down with the bike in top gear. It shouldn't slip at all. You will not be able to exert as much pressure as the engine in full flow!

Good luck. You may need to have the chaincase cover off a few times till it is right but it is worth the trouble to get a good clutch.
itma

Post by itma »

make sure the pushrod length is correct, and the adjustment ain`t too tight
disconnect the clutch cable at the handle bar if it don`t slip then, the problem lies in that areaEdited by - itma on 03 Aug 2006 9:30:56 PM
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

OK, here is a progress report.

I've actually removed the pushrod so that cannot be a factor. I've tightend up the clucth adjusters as much as I can and it is still slipping when kicking the engine over.

I've put it in top and it does not slip but since it still slips on the kickstart that isn't much use...

When I first drained the oil from this 'rebult' engine there was a very, very small amount in the primary chaincase. Certainly not as came out when I drained it after filling it with the proper amount myself. Meaning there might not have been much on the clutch at all but now there is.

What I'm now wondering is are the clutch plates are not just worn out in any case. Is there a way of telling by looking at them, some kind of measurement. They certainly look to have meat on them.

Also, if the engine had wet sumped would that cause this. I'm not really sure of the consequences of wet sumping but that is another issue and my clutch is more important at the moment.

Cheers

Mick
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

I just counted the clutch plates on account of the fact that the 'restorer' of this is obvioulsy not too bright judging by the problems he created.

It should have nine clutch plates like the lightweight 350 because it is a CSR. It has seven.

The clutch basket is the same depth as a standard model 14 (measured) but is must be the correct CSR basket as it has duplex sprockets.

So here is what I think.

Being two clutch plates short means there is not so much friction as there might be and kicking over a high comp engine it is slipping.

However having the correct amount of clutch plates for a standard 14 it does not slip when jumping on the kick start with it in top.

Does that make sense?.

Cheers
Mick
itma

Post by itma »

Its possible that if the clutch has been slipping for some time as is likely, the friction material may have become glazed, a bit like brake linings; possibly also some kind of anti friction gunge was used in the oil?
I suggest washing off the plates in petrol and deglazing them with some abrasive paper; do the same for the plain plates, shot or beadblasting them is better.
You could wipe them down with some rags from my cheap clothes shop
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

It hasn't really run for 21 years, do you think my 7 versus 9 plate and high compression theory holds water?.

Cheers
Mick
itma

Post by itma »

Only experiment will tell, would`nt think it would make that much difference under the kickstarting effort