Starting Issue

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
dada

Re: Starting Issue

Post by dada »

I already cleaned it with carb cleaner but will pass compressed air trough all holes
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Did you try the diagnostic steps I posted earlier? if so what were the results?

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Mick D wrote:Hi

Regards Mick
Darren. You have many unknowns in your rebuilt engine and we are on the third page of this topic. It's important to be methodical with your attempts to get the bike running therefore it's necessary to make the checks advised and answer the questions asked by Mick and me in previous posts before you ask new questions.
Without more information there is little point in spending time by continuing to make guesses the dark .
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
Mick D wrote:Hi

Regards Mick
Darren. You have many unknowns in your rebuilt engine and we are on the third page of this topic. It's important to be methodical with your attempts to get the bike running therefore it's necessary to make the checks advised and answer the questions asked by Mick and me in previous posts before you ask new questions.
Without more information there is little point in spending time by continuing to make guesses the dark .
+1
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
dada

Post by dada »

Some updates Yesterday, I have put piston at TDC and checked points they are all good with plug on cylinder head as soon as I kickstart there is a blue spark and if I close plug hole with my finger there is compression pushing air out as soon as I kickstart and blue spark right afterwards.

Next as soon as I find some time I will do the carb as you suggested otherwise timing all seems good :)

Thanks All for your Assistance.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

O.K. So assuming that the valve and ignition timing are correct and before you take the carb off put a couple of teaspoons of fuel into the plug hole, replace plug and its cap and try kickstarting for a result of any sort.
Then tickle the carb. Does fuel spill/drip out from the tickler when you depress it? If not, loosen the banjo fuel connection on the carb. Fuel should run out with the tank tap turned 'On'. If it doesn't there is a blockage in the fuel pipe somewhere between the tank and the carb.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I guess you'll get there eventually but I struggle with your logic of checking timing when you have already stated the plug is dry.

With deference to Nev, (Spriddler), I think dripping five drops of fuel into the carb and trying to start will be more informative than pouring fuel into the plug hole - ie. it will confirm the action of the inlet valve.

Regards Mick
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

dada wrote:Some updates Yesterday, I have put piston at TDC and checked points they are all good with plug on cylinder head as soon as I kickstart there is a blue spark and if I close plug hole with my finger there is compression pushing air out as soon as I kickstart and blue spark right afterwards.

Next as soon as I find some time I will do the carb as you suggested otherwise timing all seems good :)

Thanks All for your Assistance.
With respect, setting your timing is a lot more precise than just having a spark somewhere around the time you feel air coming out of the plug hole!!! you need to set it as I outlined earlier. If you run the bike with the timing out (if you actually get it to start that is) can cause all sorts of trouble from a holed piston to overheating and backfiring through the carb possibly setting the bike alight!! These bikes don't ask for precision accuracy unlike my Yamaha RD that has to be set with a dial gauge but basic timing is essential otherwise you will get nowhere
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Mick D wrote:With deference to Nev, (Spriddler), I think dripping five drops of fuel into the carb and trying to start will be more informative than pouring fuel into the plug hole - ie. it will confirm the action of the inlet valve.
Just clutching at straws seeking a ray of hope, Mick. I'd like to hear that something has happened. If fuel down the plug 'ole goes bang at least one can assume the plug is actually firing under compression, at more or less the right time and on the right stroke.
Keep at it Darren!
Technical enquires (480x375).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dada

Post by dada »

Hi, dismantled carb and cleaned it again all holes etcc. but its leaking fuel from banjo. today will try to put fuel directly in chamber by syringe maybe I hear a bang :)