G2 CSR f/wheel spacers

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
basketcase

G2 CSR f/wheel spacers

Post by basketcase »

Does any knowledgeble, helpful person out there know how the spacers fit on the front wheel spindle of said G2 CSR. One is about 7/8", the other 1/4". I`ve tried them all ways but the wheel doesn`t seem to sit right between the forks. Please don`t tell me that I should have noted how they came off as I purchased the bike in numerous boxes! Cheers, basketcase.
good-hifi

G2 CSR f/wheel spacers

Post by good-hifi »

On my 1963 Model 14 CSR there is only one spacer. It sits between the left fork leg and the wheel. The brake plate is on the right, when sitting on the bike.

I cannot measure the spacer properly in situ but it certainly is more like 7/8" than 1/4".

As far as I know, and I stand to be corrected, they are the same bike.

Cheers
Mick
chris kelly

G2 CSR f/wheel spacers

Post by chris kelly »

Hi, I"ve never seen a drawing for the 1962 onwards Model 14 CSR front wheel Hub assembly . The drawing that everyone seems to have is from the official Spares List..G2...G2CS...andG5 for 1960. Looking in the 1962 Supplementary List, the Year the CSR came out..all the respective parts are mentioned for the front wheel on the CSR. And as far as I can see there is a different set of numbers for the Hub parts .This lists 2 spacers for felt , which is not what we are talking about and 2 entries...043717 Spacer, quantity one.. cost..1 shilling and 5 pence which suggests to me it was quite substantial..and Spacer 043718, quantity one..cost 8 pence. These two spacers at least match numerically with the two you are talking about. How they fit..well I cant help. Maybe first establish that your spacers are in fact the correct ones..but them again..from the Club ,or Andrew Engineering..or have a word with The Club Helpliner..I remember reading that he has been restoring this Model. If Mick ,above, has only got one Spacer then maybe his wheel is off an earlier model. Best wishes, Chris.
'My cat can beat up your cat!'
good-hifi

G2 CSR f/wheel spacers

Post by good-hifi »

Now it is getting confusing, my 14 CSR is a 1963 as first mentioned....
Mick
good-hifi

G2 CSR f/wheel spacers

Post by good-hifi »

Actually there are two spacers but the small one is hard to see from above in a darkish confines of a packed garage. This is also the same on my 1966 14 CSR.

The small spacer goes between the brake back plate and the forks, the larger spacer goes on the other side.

If they won't fit then you have to consider that either the forks are bent or you do not have original parts.

Best thing to do is search the site, and google, for some pictures.

Cheers
Mick
chris kelly

G2 CSR f/wheel spacers

Post by chris kelly »

Hi , Mick, You stated originally that your wheel had one spacer, ie visible. That description perfectly matches Illustration 14 Front Hub Assemby..which I believe was photocopied from the original Parts list. Year 1960. That would have put your front wheel from an earlier model. Now that you have found the other spacer , ie visible..that information matches the later parts list for the CSRmodels which as we all know came out in 1962. The CSR models have designated numbers for the spacers, which number two in quantity.The 14/G2, 14CS/G2CS, 14S/G2S have other numbers which suggests to me that they were phsically different. Otherwise, why have a parts number system. Nigel( Basketcase) above says he bought the bike in several pieces..so my logic is the wheel could have been built up wrongly. Therefore, if he can buy new spacers from the Club etc at least he will know if the "proper " spacers match what he has got..When I had my CSR the front wheel was fine but I was never completely satisfied the rear wheel set up was how it came out of the factory. Chris
'My cat can beat up your cat!'