Rear Mudguard Stay

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Martin.S

Rear Mudguard Stay

Post by Martin.S »

Could any one explain to me how the rear mudguard stay fits on the later G2 CSR's with the alloy mudguards as the two I have don't seem to fit so well
Rear%20Stay.jpg
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martin.S

Re: Rear Mudguard Stay

Post by Martin.S »

Is there no one with a late CSR that could just have a peek under their saddle to see if there are any spacers or such?
Cheers
garyg2mad

Post by garyg2mad »

Martin there are no spacers fitted to the 66 rear mudguard loop , In your photo you have the loop up the wrong way reverse this so the loop sweeps sharply down at the end so it fits with the mudguard profile ' It then should fit through the open number plate unit
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Thanks Gary, I turned it over and no way will it fit that way - I think the photo isn't really showing the truth as the straight part after the bend is almost parallel to the ground - almost! But if you say there are no spacers then it needs a little persuading to fit.
Thanks again
Martin
garyg2mad

Post by garyg2mad »

Martin that sounds correct then ' The angle shows" looks " too high in the photo ' My unmolelsted 66 G2 has no spacers , As you say a tweak should sort it ' probably been bent up from a shunt at the rear '
spitfire

Post by spitfire »

If you were to fit the bracket on top of the subframe at the ends instead of on the bottom like you have , would this then bring it into line? I only say this because I have a genuine matchless G2CS from 1961 the scrambler version of the 250, and it has a very similar rear subframe and bracket but the bracket sits on top of the subframe at the end.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

I tried all ways but fitting them on top only made the angled brackets further away.