Rear Hub part No's

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Martin.S

Rear Hub part No's

Post by Martin.S »

I have the exploded view diagram of the Lightweight hub from the Workshop Instruction Manual and the 1960 spares List and the two do not tally up
043306 is a Spacer/Washer on the diagram but an Extended Nut in the parts list, And the Extended nut 043303 on the diagram is not listed in the parts list!
clive

Re: Rear Hub part No's

Post by clive »

Cannot really help but comment made to bring the topic back up as none of the lightweight aficionados have replied. The illustrations in the parts lists sometimes lag behind changes made even if the part numbers are updated.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Janet

Post by Janet »

043303 is for the extended nuts,at each end of the wheel spindle.
043306 is a washer that fits next to the brake plate and is held in place by a lock nut.
They are both shown on the drawing on page 73 of the 1957-1964 workshop instruction manual and in the lightweight spares list for 1960, page 26 for the drawing and 27 for the list.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

clive wrote:Cannot really help but comment made to bring the topic back up as none of the lightweight aficionados have replied. The illustrations in the parts lists sometimes lag behind changes made even if the part numbers are updated.
I cannot help either Clive, I see the same as you all see. Illustrations being artwork that does not appear to be updated when parts lists are updated. This becomes more of a problem 1960 onwards. Parts list are no longer complete, for a complete model year. They are " parts that differ " lists. By the time you get to 1965. It really gets complicated, you need the last complete parts, say 1960. Plus all parts that differ lists. Many do not seem to be available or have survived. This where you can all help. Literature has code numbers. e.g 1960 LW parts list code number CL 50. There are many gaps in literature code numbers. Please check any literature you have against what you see in the "Archives" that's Christians archives http://www.archives.jampot.dk its really all we have at present we can access and check. The club is trying to improve this situation. At present I am trying to archive literature for the club. The club being all its members. If you think you have something unknown of, please let me know. prewar@jampot.com I have first started on club history. The club has a good deal of its history within all the Jampot magazines. Never before archived digitally for ease of access. In the past couple of months I have managed to scan all old Jampot magazines up to the end of the 1970's. So approx. first 25 years of club history is now digitally recorded. I also made Excel files of all rallies venues prize winners etc All committee members, All club sections. These files cover 1952 to 2019.

There is one source of literature that has not survived well that could answer question on topics like this topic re light weight parts. Plus many other questions related to many topics for all years and models. Needless to say there are many gaps in this literature, so if you have any, again please let me know. It is difficult to see the whole picture of 1960 to 1967 literature which has so many gaps. All this literature that is being overlooked also carries a code number. In case you have not yet realised what literature I am referring to, it is " Service Bulleting's " Just take a look at this link of one. It would have answered a few topics on LW's as this topic asks. Late what happened to this part no. ? Why is this part Loose fitting? etc. Parts in my bike are different to what the parts list states.?

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Ser ... 61_no1.pdf

There is one LW parts that would be very useful for all light weight owners of 1960 1966 bikes. I have asked in the past about. It consists of about 29 pages it a typed format. Unlike many of the printed parts lists. We do have this list but only about 11 of the 29 pages. So far no one has come forward with more pages or a complete copy. That parts list alone would be a great help to many. It's format also shows what part fitted what year and model. (Only AJS of Wolverhampton produced parts list like this circa 1914 to the end of the 1920's. ) Finding this list LW 1960 to 1966 parts list would answer this topic question and many more.
So at the moment myself, Clive and all don't know the answer. I do know where the answer could probably be found.
Your help is needed so we all know. You may have this complete LW parts not realizing how important it is. Please look.
This is what we are looking for, of which we only have 11 pages of. There should be at lest 29 pages,
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... o_1966.pdf
clive

Post by clive »

Seems Janet knows!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

043303 is the correct part number for a Lightweight rear axle nut.

The 1960 Lightweight parts list in the archives seems to have different numbers to yours (and p.27 looks correct to me): http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... S_8_LW.pdf
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

clanger9 wrote:043303 is the correct part number for a Lightweight rear axle nut.

The 1960 Lightweight parts list in the archives seems to have different numbers to yours (and p.27 looks correct to me): http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... S_8_LW.pdf
Its the same, note I quoted CL50 its code number. Also the 1960 / 66 parts I referred to that has only 11 of 29 pages.
I have the original copies of both.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Rob Harknett wrote:
clanger9 wrote:043303 is the correct part number for a Lightweight rear axle nut.

Its the same, note I quoted CL50 its code number. Also the 1960 / 66 parts I referred to that has only 11 of 29 pages.
I have the original copies of both.
Sorry Rob, I was replying to Martin, not you! It looks like Martin as a different parts list to you & me.
We all jumped on this topic at the same time...

Just to repeat Rob's appeal for the 1966 Lightweight Supplement. It would be really helpful if someone could unearth a full copy!!
1993 Ducati 750SS
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

clive wrote:Seems Janet knows!
She does indeed Clive. I never bothered looking, Martin says numbers are not listed. I have now looked in my 1960 Matchless, AJS, Matchless and Master Parts lists in which I see 043303 & 043306 are both listed. Martin could you give the code number of the list you say does not tally up. It may give a clue if a change was made before or after, the 3 1960 items I refer to above. Some lists printed had errors. Some of these lists did get corrected by having a loose or stuck in "erretta " slip. Perhaps you got hold of such a parts list. Which would explain the confusion that has come about..
The only thing I seem to see that does not tally up, between the diagram and parts list is the washer 043306 2 off, only one 043306 seen in the diagram. Perhaps I'll find the 2nd washer after next Monday, after I've had my eye op.
You just slipped in your comment above Clive, as I was about to post this. Hope the above has not added to the confusion. Except perhaps the lack of 2 043306 washers.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Hi Rob, there are 2x 043306 in the diagram - one either side of the brake plate...
1993 Ducati 750SS