Rear Sprocket Nuts and Bolts

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Martin.S

Rear Sprocket Nuts and Bolts

Post by Martin.S »

Can anyone tell me if the rear wheel sprocket bolts have a reduce head - ie a smaller spanner size than normal and the nuts too?
The club doesn't list them and the part numbers don't appear on the AMC cross reference list.
They appear on the Norton Owners Club spares for the lightweights but have a different number.
Cheers
Rob Harknett

Re: Rear Sprocket Nuts and Bolts

Post by Rob Harknett »

By cross reference list I assume you mean old to new pt. no. conversion list. If a part was not used prior to approx 1952, when AMC introduced the new numbering series. They would not be on that list. The nut believe is 011843 was used on centre web, perhaps before it was used on LW sprocket. bolt I believe 043292. I cant get to any of my LW's or spare wheels to measure mine. The club lists the nut with description centre web etc. picture of it shows a nylock type nut. ( perhaps I have made an error, if I have it will guarantee you will see a reply soon correcting me, in doing so also answer your question.)
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Hi Rob, The cross reference I was talking of was the list that tells you the thread form, size etc - don't really know what the list is called.
But I did take the numbers from the workshop manual and are all 04 numbers as you would expect but now that I've looked at the parts book the numbers are as you quote, yes the nut is a nylock but no mention of a reduced hex so I presume of normal proportion.
Thanks
Martin
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Martin.S wrote:Hi Rob, The cross reference I was talking of was the list that tells you the thread form, size etc - don't really know what the list is called.
But I did take the numbers from the workshop manual and are all 04 numbers as you would expect but now that I've looked at the parts book the numbers are as you quote, yes the nut is a nylock but no mention of a reduced hex so I presume of normal proportion.
Thanks
Martin
When looking for fitting sizes Martin. Studs, nuts & bolts, you are unlikely to find them stated in a 1952 onwards parts list. Pre 52 would use old part no's You find sizes given in the pre 52 parts lists. This is where the master parts lists come in handy, they will show both old and new part number. So often refered to as part number old to new conversion book. In the archives / parts list I gave this book a 000 prefix to the title. So it appears top of the list. If you are looking for size's of a standard part, you should find sizes for parts in this number series. STD 1 to approx. STD 1000. that will be new part numbers 000001 to 001000. Pot luck finding sizes for other part numbers. These standard fitting parts & numbers, were introduced by AJS of Wolverhampton, late 1920's. It continued for AJS also Matchless circa 1933 onwards. ( After Matchless brought out AJS ) The club actually stock a few 100 parts used late 1920's to 1951. You will need to convert the old pt. no. to new, to find them.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I did make a file listing all LW fittings e.g. nuts bolts studs etc. I don't know where its is now. When I offered LW owners the file there was no interest.
I believe the only LW owner I past the file on to, perhaps a printed version , was Janet, who was our president at the time.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

I made this list, which I think is based on Rob's: https://1drv.ms/x/s!AreW5w5WmJsqrFeLbZTlUbrrf_C7
According to this, the part number for the rear sprocket bolts is 043292
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

clanger9 wrote:I made this list, which I think is based on Rob's: https://1drv.ms/x/s!AreW5w5WmJsqrFeLbZTlUbrrf_C7
According to this, the part number for the rear sprocket bolts is 043292
Something like that Paul, but without the notes column I think. You would have had to refer to the parts list conversion book for sizes.
You can see from your chart Paul, it is mainly only old STD pt. no's that will have sizes stated, those being new pt. no's 000001 to 000510
Here's the top 500+ parts you will find with sizes given. You can ignore the description, as many of these parts fitted on various parts of a bike.
sc 1.jpg
sc2.jpg
Two more scans to follow in next posting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Finale two scans.
sc3.jpg
sc4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

That's great, Rob! I can use your list to fill in many of the gaps...
1993 Ducati 750SS
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

...or not. Now that I look at it more closely, some of the missing descriptions in my list are STD parts like 000288, 000330 and 000367.
Is there another list that has the dimensions of these part numbers?
1993 Ducati 750SS