speedo cable

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Egor Rider

speedo cable

Post by Egor Rider »

Hi,
Good to here your out clocking up the miles.Went to Hunstanton with a few mates (bsa C15, Harley, old jap stuff) and only bike not to have trouble was my AJS 14.Round trip of 135 miles all back roads .Sticking to 45/50mph returned 80mpg & used/leaked approx 1/2 ltr of oil. A long day 4 1/2 hrs riding time. Went round the block a few days later and the speedo packed up again.
The cable can be seen to be twisted at the square section coming out of the drive end.
Last night I fitted another new cable.Took it out 4 a ride speedo needle was jumping about between 0-30 mph 2miles down the road needle stopped jumping around and every thing is working fine again . May be its "HAUNTED" . LOL
good-hifi

speedo cable

Post by good-hifi »

quote: is the speedo drive ratio of 19-10 correct? As I cant seem to find any ref to this any where.

Having removed my speedo drive which decided to seize I found the ratio is marked on the inside of the drive gearbox. Mine is 2-1 and the replacement is also 2-1 which is fairly close to 19-10 and bearing in mind clutch slip, tyre pressures, inaccurate speedo heads etc. it probably makes no difference at all.

I need to strip the seized one down to find out what the problem was, any idea how the worm gear is removed?.

Cheers.
Mick
Biscuit
Deceased

speedo cable

Post by Biscuit »

Have a look at my reply to minajs, under his Topic'Speedo gearbox woe part2' 10th May '06

Egor Rider

speedo cable

Post by Egor Rider »

Hi Mick,
Never striped a speedo drive just found a replacement . A chap once told me that if you unscrew the brass end caps the gear drive can be removed but you can NOT replace the worn drive ,so I never botherd.
I too couldn't find any referance to what the Ratio 19-10 or 2-1 should be so I just replace it with what was already on the bike (19-10). But riding with friends on moden Jap bikes it seens that my speedo is reading approx 5mph fast,so I guess a 2-1 ratio would be worse. A friend has a BSA with 18 inch wheels that runs a 2-1 speedo drive and his speedo reads about right. Good luck with the strip .It will be interesting to see if you find a new wormdrive.
I see you went "out in the DARK " . I too quite often find myself riding (strugling)home after dark . Have you or any one else tried a diferent headlamp glass or reflector ?
I have a 6volt Halogen bulb fitted (nice bright/white light) but very poor penatration.

Good luck .

Mark
good-hifi

speedo cable

Post by good-hifi »

I'm not intending to strip this to repair it. I want to see if I can understand why it seized to, perhaps, prevent it happening with the replacement drive. Unscrewing the brass ends seemed to be the obvious answer BUT they have cutouts which are locked by the main body so I don't see that I could unscrew them. I reckon there is more to it than meets the eye.

CheersEdited by - good-hifi on 30 Sep 2006 5:46:49 PM
Mick
Biscuit
Deceased

speedo cable

Post by Biscuit »

The brass end is held by peening the body into one or more of the four slots, it comes away fairly easily, watch for the shims/washers on the spindle of the worm. Read my post as suggested above.

Did you ever grease it?

Egor rider, your chap was wrong, you can replace the worm wheel, if you can get one!.

good-hifi

speedo cable

Post by good-hifi »

Hi Biscuit, read the post thanks. Seems this is not a rare occurance.

I never greased it as it does not have a grease nipple and the manual says it does not need greasing.

Having said that I bought this as fully restored four months ago and have spent all that time putting many things right before I ever dared taking it for it's first MoT in 21 years. So I have not really been able to check everything since, by definition, that would mean stripping the bike down to eit's last nut'n'bolt.

Mind you I've almost done that anyway!....

Cheers
Mick
Biscuit
Deceased

speedo cable

Post by Biscuit »

One must assume then that it was greased on assembly for life, except 'life' wasn't expected to last 40+years. Disassemble it as suggested and re-grease it.