speedo cable

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Egor Rider

speedo cable

Post by Egor Rider »

Hi, Does any one know the correct length of the speedo cable for a AJS Model 14 ? Many thanks Mark.
good-hifi

speedo cable

Post by good-hifi »

Hi Mark

I just spent an hour or so sorting out the speedo on my 14 CSR as it did not work.

The speedo head worked when driven off my drill (VERY SLOW SPEED) and a thin bladed screwdriver head in the square (?) drive.

The gearbox worked and the speedo cable turned when it was fitted to it.

But the speedo would not work when the cable was fitted to it. I have now to send that head off as I found the square drive was not.....square!!!

I fitted a spare speedo to the cable and that worked.

Connecting everything up and nothing worked at all.

The speedo cable is new but I do not know the source. The inner cable is 63" long and what I found was that it was not long enough for the outer. I'm afraid I cannot tell you the length of the outer because as you will know it goes through the exhaust bracket and I did not want to take the exhaust off.

However what I found was the fitting an old inner which was 2 " longer solved the problem and I now have a working speedo.

It seems that the outer was too long for the inner, as supplied although there seemed to be plenty of inner exposed at either end.

I'm not sure why you asked your question but I hope that what I have written might be of some use.

Cheers

Mick
Egor Rider

speedo cable

Post by Egor Rider »

Hi Mick,
I was woundering what the length was because I am (between doing other things ) trying to find out why my speedo keeps packing up.One cable ,three drives (second hand) all within the last 1500 miles.But as you have just said the inner looks too long, by aprox 1 1/2 inches, so I guess its not that. Prob just old parts , is the speedo drive ratio of 19-10 correct? As I cant seem to find any ref to this any where. Many thanks
Mark .
good-hifi

speedo cable

Post by good-hifi »

You say it keeps packing up so I'm assuming you are getting it repaired or are repairing it yourself. It seems that maybe the repairs are not particularly robust.

However I do need to get one of mine repaired and wonder if you have details of anyone that supplies this service.

I'm not sure what you mean by 19-10 as a ration and how would one derive or find such a figure?.

My speedo's indicate 1664 or 1728 on the face and I believe this is the magic figure. The 1664 one is from a 1966 14 CSR and the 178 is a 1963 14 CSR. The latter one has a red needle.

I have no idea if either or both are the correct speedo for that year/model.

Cheers
Mick
Egor Rider

speedo cable

Post by Egor Rider »

HI, On the rear speedo drive it says 19-10 ratio. And turning the rear wheel with cable removed from speedo.It can be seen that for every 10 turns of the rear wheel the speedo cable turns 19 times.
As for reparing drive I have just been purchasing more drives,as I cannot seem to see why they should be breaking (internaly).Same with speedo cable,guess this is what you get with replacing 40year old bits with more 40 year old parts. My bike is an AJS 14CSR 1967 speedo go's up to 100mph (only in numbers not in real life) But with out looking I cant remember what colour the needle is. If it wasn't for the fact that I hate seeing something that is not working stairing me in the face, I would just keep puting my foot down every now and again just to check that I am still moveing.
Cheers
Mark.
good-hifi

speedo cable

Post by good-hifi »

Is it the gearbox that is breaking or the speedometer?. If the gearbox is broken you will be able to see it is broken, if it does not appear to be broken maybe it is not actually getting any drive from the rear wheel?.

On the speedo there is a four figure number, what is that number?.

Cheers
Mick
good-hifi

speedo cable

Post by good-hifi »

I made an interesting discovery today.

The official size of speedo cable square ends is 4 mm sides.

There are several import varieties which have 3 mm flats.

They work for a while and then round off.

I wonder if this is what your problem is?

CheersEdited by - good-hifi on 18 Sep 2006 6:55:29 PM
Mick
Egor Rider

speedo cable

Post by Egor Rider »

Egor Rider

speedo cable

Post by Egor Rider »

DOOOOOOOOOO Helps if I write something !

Hi All / Mick ,

Sorry I havent replied sooner but Ive been away. Anyway it is the drive and the cable which keeps breaking. The numbers on the speedo are SSM 2001/02 1600 this is written at the top of the face on the speedo.
At the bottom it says SMITHS MADE IN ENGLAND. THe speedo go's from 0- 100 mph and it has a florecent orange needle . I am woundering if the speedo is faulty as it is the only thing I have not replaced .
May be I should just leave it broken and just keep touching the road with my boot . Just to check that I am still moving ! Ha Ha .
good-hifi

speedo cable

Post by good-hifi »

Guess what?. Took my steed for a 100 mile run yesterday. Got to 60 miles and the speedo packed up.

The speedo drive has locked itself solid and turns with the back wheel, ripped the cable outer and inner to bits...

Still the bike ran fine and was cruising easily at 50- 60.

I don't think a faulty speedo would break a cable and drive. Not sure what your problem is but it seems odd (unless it is like what happened to me) that two parts should break together.

Cheers

Mick